Synthetic Oil - Or Not?

akjimny

Okay all, I need some advice here. I've never used synthetic oil, but I have heard good things (good advertising???) about it. I have a 5284 mile one-way trip, Alaska to Florida and vice versa, and that's pushing my comfortable oil change interval.

I have the 2006 Ford V10 engine with 63,000 miles on it, and have been using Penzoil 10W30 exclusively. So far it hasn't had any oil issues (no burning or leaking) for 3 trips up and down the ALCAN. I change the oil right before leaving and change it again as soon as I get where I'm going.

So, should I just keep on keeping on like I have been, or do you folks think I might should change over to synthetic? :question: :question: :question: :clown: :) :)

H2H1

Re: Synthetic Oil - Or Not?

wow Jimmy that is a great question, one I can't answer. I know triple like synthetic oil and use it in all his vehicle. I also know he uses AL SOIL syn. oil. I bet by tomorrow he will have a good answer for you as well as some others on here who does use sny.

krsmitty

I would continue as you have been. What is the manufacturers recommended mileage for oil change? Bet it is more than 5,284 miles. Lot of people still change their oil every 3,000 miles, but with today's oil not really needed.

H2H1

Ken S. I think you are right, I change mine at 3k, but I know I can go further on it. But since I do my own, and it is no problem for me to do it. I do use the same oil each and ever time. I also carry an extra 5 qt container plus a 1 qt and a filter just incase we are out and run over the 3 k limit. I know I am being over cautious but that is me :laugh:

Triple E

Like Hollis states I use Amsoil on all of my vehicle's. Not only their engine oil but their transmission, rear-end and grease.

I worked on the North Slope back in the late 70's and started using it up there. When I moved back to Washington I stopped. Then in 1985 I bought a new Ford F-250 with the diesel engine and moved to the Northeast corner of Washington State. Very cold winters and the Ford diesel had a hard time starting unless it was plugged in to AC with the block heater. So I went back to using Amsoil and never had a hard time starting the engine again. Block heater or no block heater. The best part was the oil pressure would come up just as fast at a negative 25 degrees F as 65 degrees F.

My last oil change in my motor home was July of this year. Before that it was July 2008. However I have only put on 17K miles on that oil. I put a new oil filter on every spring and do an engine oil analysis with the filter change. I HAVE NEVER COME CLOSE TO FAILING AN OIL TEST. I just got a little nervous and went and change it this year even though the test said I did not need too.

Last April I pulled the valve cover off to have the valves adjusted. I can not believe how clean this area under the cover is. No sludge at all. :cool:

So to answer your question. Yes. Cost is more. Last longer and you are not buying oil from the Desert. :approve:

I am in no way connected to Amsoil except for being a preferred customer. I am not an Amsoil Salesman.

H2H1

Very good point Steve, I hope that I did not insinuate that you was a salesman, that was not what I was trying to say. I was just telling Jimmy that you are a syn. oil user and the type you use.

Triple E

No problem Hollis. You know how some people can be so I thought I better make some sort of statement. I know, that you know, that I am not. :approve:

akjimny

Steve - I know you like and use the Amsoil products. I was thinking about using the Pennzoil synthetic, since I've had good luck with their regular oil. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

PS - Almost time to start loading up for the trip back to Florida (by way of Misty River). I told Boss Lady I was going to drag ALL the food out and she could decide what she would or wouldn't eat. Then I'm going to take her to the commissary and let her pick out three weeks worth of stuff to pack. Hopefully I'll have freezer space for a salmon or two for the M&G. :) :) :)

krsmitty

I would still say no...Not sure if synthetic works any better or not. I have heard of those who say they get better MPG with synthetic??? I have also heard stories of switching from dino to synthetic causing some problems??? The extra cost for synthetic, is it worth it???

Triple E

Well Ken all that I can say is you won't know until you try it. I have not used imported oil for over 26 years with O problems. Yes it does cost more or does it???? Changing your oil every 3K to 5K is just making the oil company's happy and the environmentals sad.

The only way that I can say this Ken is because I am faithful on doing an oil analysis and I have never failed one.

On my cars I put around 20K miles before an oil change. Also all of the new cars coming out these days are going synthetic. Especially in the transmission. I just bought a Ford Escapee Hybrid. The manual states to use 5 - 20 W Ford synthetic oil.

Ok I will shut up now. Have a good day. :approve:

brodavid

good points from all, and Mr Steve , I did not think you were a spokesman or work for the company, just figure you found a great product and wanted all to know, :) :) :)

krsmitty

I agree Triple, each their own. I am a member of a Dodge Cummins forum and there are numerous members who swear by Amsoil and other synthetics. And just as many who can't justify the cost. My owner manual says to change oil every 5k - 10k miles based on your driving. I change mine, along with fuel filter, every 7,500 miles using the cheapest oil and filter I can find at Wally World. Been doing that on my last 3 vehicles, over 100k on each and no issues.

LEN

I run Syn on a couple rigs and not on the others. Reason is cost on each and use. With your use, if were me, I would stay with what you are doing now. Reason your not doing a bunch of short trips which is hard on oil. Your firing up and going 5000 miles is short time with long runs and good warm.hot motor nor the short cold runs that contaminate the oil. Now if you were talking running 10,000 and changing the oil once a year then I might consider the SYN. JMO

LEN

Triple E

The question I would really like to have an answer too is gas. I know people who are stuck on Chevron like I am on synthetic oil. Chevron always cost more but I don't know if is worth it. I do know that I get worse mileage with Arco and Cenex but the rest seem to be about the same. :question: The guy I buy from the Exxon station says it all comes from the same place. Any comments?

Len sorry I almost forgot. Are you back on your feet yet or are you waiting for more to be done?

krsmitty

I find the cheapest I can find. Even with diesel. Usually I buy at Wally World (Murphy) because I can get up to 10 cents off a gallon. I myself do not see any difference in MPG, but my Dad says he does not get as good MPG from Murphy when he is towing. He usually only uses Flying J when on the road.

H2H1

Well, I like KenS I buy what is the cheapest, whether it Murphy's or raceway, or at the truck stop, my MPG has not changed. I D USE THE ONE WHO OFFER MORE OF A DISCOUNT. Murphy using Wal Mart card, flying J by using there card, and Krogers if in the area. I really does not stay in the tank long enough to judge if it good or bad

krsmitty

H2H1 - 8/19/2011 7:17 PM

Well, I like KenS I buy what is the cheapest, whether it Murphy's or raceway, or at the truck stop, my MPG has not changed. I D USE THE ONE WHO OFFER MORE OF A DISCOUNT. Murphy using Wal Mart card, flying J by using there card, and Krogers if in the area. I really does not stay in the tank long enough to judge if it good or bad

So true!!!! ;)

akjimny

Like most everybody else, I use the cheapest gas I can get to. Sometimes the cheap gas is inaccessible in my motorhome, especially when towing my motorcycle trailer. Up here in Anchorage Costco is cheaper than out on base, but the base gas station is easier to get in an out of, and they also sell propane. I will use Murphy Oil, if available, but for personal reasons I no longer use my Walmart credit card. $0.03 cent discount on 50 gallons of gas is only $1.50.

I think I will try the Pennzoil Ulta Synthetic for the trip home. I think I can save the price difference by doing the oil change myself instead of going to Qwikie Lube. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed - I won't have any problems. :laugh: :laugh: :) :) :)

H2H1

Jim I am like you I don't like to use the walmart card at Murphy . BUT when they offer .10 discount per gallon, well it was hard to pass up. If they go back to there standard cost I will not use them. Here at FT.Benning the gas is the same as RACEWAY just off post.

solovino

Hi, I have been using Amsoil for a number of years in all my vehicles. And prior to that used Syntec from Castrol. Never had an issue. One thing to be aware of is using Synthetic in older vehicles may cause oil seal problems due to the material used in past years. Also the type of oil filter used is important. There are filters constructed of new nanofiber material that are superior in performance. I am currently adding a by-pass oil filtration system to my RV, so the oil will be triple filtered. If you don't intend on keeping the Rig for more than 5 years any quality oil and regular changes will do but if you want longevity the best is a must. Check the Amsoil website for a wealth of information, you can talk to a technician and ask specific questions. Getting the oil analyzed is another option, there are several companies that do this service and the cost is very reasonable. I never consider MPG with oil, I want superior lubrication protection.

2008 Honda Element, 1999 F150, Arctic Cat ATV, RV 1997 Lorado 8.3 Cummins

Hope you have trouble free Rving,
Ken Hynes