Synthetic Oil - Or Not?

akjimny

Re: Synthetic Oil - Or Not?

Now if it would just stop raining!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :( :( :( But it's Fall in Alaska - that's what you get. :eek: :eek:

Triple E

solovino - 8/22/2011 10:47 AM Hi, I have been using Amsoil for a number of years in all my vehicles. And prior to that used Syntec from Castrol. Never had an issue. One thing to be aware of is using Synthetic in older vehicles may cause oil seal problems due to the material used in past years. Also the type of oil filter used is important. There are filters constructed of new nanofiber material that are superior in performance. I am currently adding a by-pass oil filtration system to my RV, so the oil will be triple filtered. If you don't intend on keeping the Rig for more than 5 years any quality oil and regular changes will do but if you want longevity the best is a must. Check the Amsoil website for a wealth of information, you can talk to a technician and ask specific questions. Getting the oil analyzed is another option, there are several companies that do this service and the cost is very reasonable. I never consider MPG with oil, I want superior lubrication protection.

2008 Honda Element, 1999 F150, Arctic Cat ATV, RV 1997 Lorado 8.3 Cummins

Hope you have trouble free Rving,
Ken Hynes

Good point on the oil filter. I use Donaldson, Amsoil or CAT. Your point on the seals, I have a 1997 F-150. I have been using amsoil in it from the beginning and just turned 150,000 miles. I have O leaks, knock on wood. :approve:

solovino

Actually when I mentioned older vehicles I was thinking of going back to years in the '60's or '50's. I do know of people that didn't do research, dumped in synthetic, had seal problems or valve issues and blamed it on the oil, which was true but the produces of the synthetic oil would have cautioned them about the possible problems. I find that today you have to do a lot of research due to the changing technology. I usually use Donaldson as well, just installed a By-Pass filter system for the Cummins 8.3. Have been using Amsoil for a number of years in all my engines and am quite satisfied. Started out using Castrol Syntec in a modified Honda 550 motorcycle years ago and then more research led me to Amsoil. Hope my F150 does as well as yours.

Ken

rudyhiebert

Jim M. Your question about "Synthetic or Not?" turns my crank because I've heard from truckers who wouldn't use anything else because their transmission and engine run cooler and save on fuel - #1. As far as brand goes, not all synthetics are the same so check out your options.

Cruzincat

I didn't see this thread earlier. Probably too late to stop OP from switching from regular to synthetic after 63K miles on regular. From what I have read (only- no experience), the molecules in the synthetic oil are smaller than the regular oil. After running for a period of time, the seals become worn to the point where the oil molecules provide the actual seal. If you change to an oil with smaller molecules, you may experience leakage. Again, this is only what I have read and I have no links. Just something I read somewhere and logged in the back of my mind for future reference.

If you are starting the engine and run it for over a half hour, so that it gets hot, just about every time you use it, you can probably go a lot further, on average, between oil changes. Even if you don't do that, if you make a long trip of less than 6K, you should be able to do that unless you go ten miles stop, cool down, do ten more, etc. Then change the oil at the end of the trip.

akjimny

Final Answer - I chickened out. Didn't change to synthetic - just went with my regular Pennzoil and Fram filter. Changed the oil just before we left Alaska and soon after arriving in Florida. 5,300+ miles and no problems, so I'm a happpy camper. My personal belief is that the recommended 3,000 mile change interval is a bunch of hooey. Something to get you to bring your vehicle in for service more often and get you to spend more money. Admittedly, if I was operating in a severe, hot, dusty environment, I would change oil more often. But 300 - 400 highway miles every day for three weeks does not constitute severe operation in my opinion.:):)

LEN

With the trip you do I would stay with the old P-O 10-30. I would not worry about the 5000 mile trip as you do it with long drive times and all in a row. Most oil brake down is over short trips with no time for a good heat up and getting condensation and low heat particulate. If you go with syn I would do the P-O route to stay with the brand that the motor is used too.

LEN

krsmitty

akjimny;75028 said:
Final Answer - I chickened out. Didn't change to synthetic - just went with my regular Pennzoil and Fram filter. Changed the oil just before we left Alaska and soon after arriving in Florida. 5,300+ miles and no problems, so I'm a happpy camper. My personal belief is that the recommended 3,000 mile change interval is a bunch of hooey. Something to get you to bring your vehicle in for service more often and get you to spend more money. Admittedly, if I was operating in a severe, hot, dusty environment, I would change oil more often. But 300 - 400 highway miles every day for three weeks does not constitute severe operation in my opinion.:):)

Back in the earlier days it was recommended to change oil every 3,000 miles. But, with the newer oils, technology, additives, etc. it is no longer recommended/needed. The recommendation is to go by what what your owner manual recommends. Of course lots of businesses still say every 3k miles...for obvious reasons.

Pancanbob

Hi, Triple E
Could you tell me a little more about "Oil Analysis"
Where do you send it and the cost?
Thanks
Bob

C Nash

I switched to synthetic in my 2002 V10 Ford Mh with no problems. Think its a little overkill protection but I also do my own and can go longer between changing. I also went to the syn transmission on the Ford because Temperture is what kills transmissions and the syn runs cooler. AJMO

Triple E

Pancanbob;75033 said:
Hi, Triple E
Could you tell me a little more about "Oil Analysis"
Where do you send it and the cost?
Thanks
Bob

Sorry Bob, I have been off-line for a while due to Gator-Aid being dumped on my Laptop. :stupid: But I am back now. :applause: I send it off to Amsoil or take down to Western States CAT. The cost for Amsoil is about $25.00 and takes about 10 days for the test to come back. So I started using Western States. The cost there is $15.00 and I get the results in about 3 days. Also they draw the oil for the test so I know it is being done right.

H2H1

Triple E;75091 said:
Sorry Bob, I have been off-line for a while due to Gator-Aid being dumped on my Laptop. :stupid: But I am back now. :applause: I send it off to Amsoil or take down to Western States CAT. The cost for Amsoil is about $25.00 and takes about 10 days for the test to come back. So I started using Western States. The cost there is $15.00 and I get the results in about 3 days. Also they draw the oil for the test so I know it is being done right.

well Steve I never knew your LT ran on gator aid,haha hope it did not do much damage. I just had to replace the Dell had a virus and the mother board was shot. Well there went my up grade in the MH.

Pancanbob

Hi, Steve... Thanks:applause:
So you had a Gator pee on your computer, You've got to train your pets better then that!!!
Thanks for the information.. I look up "Western States CAT" you have them in WA, but they are not here in CA...
Looked up Amsoil, found that they sell the test kits... so will order one when I'm ready to test it.. from what their web site said you go 25K or 1 year which ever comes first, then check it.. the report will tell you to change just the filter or the oil & filter sounds like a good deal,
I just brought a case of regular oil :stupid: , so when that gone I will switch over to Amsoil :excitement:
Take care
Bob

H2H1

hey Bob how many miles do you have on the Rexall? I have been advised by a local tech that I should not change over yet as my MH has only 33k on it. He say or reccommend that I change it to Amsoil when I get to 50k. But I think Steve may have something to say on that. I will wait and see what his response will be.

Triple E

H2H1;75094 said:
hey Bob how many miles do you have on the Rexall? I have been advised by a local tech that I should not change over yet as my MH has only 33k on it. He say or reccommend that I change it to Amsoil when I get to 50k. But I think Steve may have something to say on that. I will wait and see what his response will be.

Well I say your tech is missed informed. I say the sooner the better. But what else would you expect me to say? :p I have read test where the rings seat better with the synthetic oil on new or rebuilt engines. My motor home had 24K when I fill it up with Amsoil. If I had bought it new I would have started it out on Amsoil.

Triple E

Pancanbob;75093 said:
Hi, Steve... Thanks:applause:
So you had a Gator pee on your computer, You've got to train your pets better then that!!!
Thanks for the information.. I look up "Western States CAT" you have them in WA, but they are not here in CA...
Looked up Amsoil, found that they sell the test kits... so will order one when I'm ready to test it.. from what their web site said you go 25K or 1 year which ever comes first, then check it.. the report will tell you to change just the filter or the oil & filter sounds like a good deal,
I just brought a case of regular oil :stupid: , so when that gone I will switch over to Amsoil :excitement:
Take care
Bob

If you do switch over you should become a Perferred Customer. This will allow you to buy at wholesale. The cost is $20.00 but you will get that back on your first purchase. :applause: http://www.amsoil.com/a/wholesale-preferred-customer

Pancanbob

Hi, Steve & Hollis
My Rexhall has 11k on,
I had heard that you shouldn't use synthetic oil till the engine has broken in, as you need to let the rings seat, but I don't remember where or when I herded it..... but it was a long time ago... getting old

They have a lot of good information on testing @ http://www.oaitesting.com/
As I said, I will use up the case of regular oil I just got, then change over to synthetic oil.
I did see on the web site ( http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx ) about the " Preferred Customer" and it looks like a very good deal
as Steve said you will make it up on the first purchase.
Steve do you use the G1206 Sampling Pump For Use With Oil Analysis Kits.
Thanks to all
Bob

Triple E

Bob try calling this number to see if they will do an oil sample for you. 510-895-8400, they are in San Leandro, CA. No, I bought a Fumoto Engine Drain Valve. http://www.oildrainvalve.net/ I open the valve, let drain for a while, close the valve back to a slow drain and take my sample. Western States CAT does use something like the G1206. They pull the sample up from the pan via the oil Dip Stick tube.

H2H1

Steve if you would email/PM me what it cost. I am thinking of going to Amsoil this Spring when I change my oil for the trips.