sythetic oil

G

I know this has been brought up time and time again ,,,
But i have several customers who ask about syn.. oil in the coach and genset ..
I ,, reply i use it in both ...
They reply i have heard this does this and blah blah blah,,,
I was just wondering what the fulltiming and part timing think about this ,, other than the expense of the oil...
Most want it ,, but they want a good reason for the cost ,, i know what the oil companies say ,, but i want a good response from fellow rver's who use it (besides myself) on the effects and benefits they seem to get ,,,

C Nash

Re: sythetic oil

730, I don't think it is necessary if you use a good quality oil and regular service. That being said, I use in in the MH because I think it will hold up better in the conditions the MH is under. Think it will oil a little better than the conventional oils and withstand heat temp better. As far as transmission we know that heat is the killer and most trans are undersized for the weight involved in MHs. I do not use in my regular vehicles. Just think the syn is worth the extra protection on the MH and a very small price to pay when you consider the price of a transmission or engine job on the MH. JMO.

tinkerer

RE: sythetic oil

I use synthetic oil in a couple of my vehicles that need to be started in very cold weather. I don't use synthetic old in my diesel motor home as I would rather change the oil more often as synthetic oil gets to be quite expensive. I don't know about transmissions but I have seen Cummins and Cat engine go a million miles in heavy duty trucks with conventenial diesel oil. We have farm tractor diesel with 7000 hours with the same oil. I would be careful of the extended oil change intervals that some of the synthetic oil companies tout. I ruined a 350 chevy engine with Amsoil that they were telling us to go 12000 mile intervals. I changed filters as recommened but the oil became like tar. They told me I must of had a slight anti-freeze seepage that caused the problem. They said I should be sending in samples to detect the problem. I decided that it was a lot simpler to use conventential oil and change it more often. The vehicles I use sythetic oil in I use Shell Rotella full synthetic oil, it's priced a quite a bit less than some of the others. The Rotella oil is rated high enough for just about any engine.

G

I agree on the oil change intervals ,, even though i use sythetic oil i still change my oil in the MH as per manufactured specs ,, even though the oil companies say not to... My newest car that i have 07 states in the manual to change oil @ 5,000 miles ,,, the little reminder light even goes off at that milage ,, but i change it every 3,000 no matter what ,,, JMO ,, but the cutomers pay my bills so i don't really want to lie to them but approach with a good oppinion of others ,, and being rver's they might take it better that way :approve:
Bty ,, someone moved my keys around on my keyboard ,, i cna't type anything right tonight without going back and correcting it :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

There's no reason to change synthetic oil any sooner than the oil's manufacturer might recommend, but 12000 is a LONG interval!

If you are concerned (or just cautious from experience), you can easily just change the FILTER at shorter intervals. That way you are still cleaning at maximum capacity, but you are only going to need a couple of quarts between oil changes.

I use Mobil 1 and change around 5000 (earlier if 5000 will occur during a trip.)

PS. It is always an adventure reading posts from Rod (730). :eek: ;) :laugh:

G

Hey Tex this is a job ,, not an adventure ,,,,, :clown: :laugh: :laugh: :8ball:
Bty this is the only way i get u fulltimers from going bonkers at u'r campsight :laugh: ;)

Paul235

I know this thread hasn't been active for a few months but maybe its read from time to time. I have to add some info to whats been discussed about synthetic oil. right off the bat, I need to disclose that I sell Amsoil and have learned a great deal since I started using it and decided to become a dealer. I do not want to sell you anything but you do need to hear the "whole story". There is not another brand of oil that can do a better job than Amsoil. Not just my opinion , its been proven over and over again in exhaustive(?) engine and tranny testing by certified labs. Oil change intervals are set by time, miles by mfg's because the condition of the oil is unknown without lab analysis. If you look at many large trucking outfits, they track the condition of engines, trannies, and gearboxes with analysis not guess work. A $20 spectrographic test (only $20) will tell multiple things about your lubes and coolants. It will let you know about bearing, ring wear, oil contaminants and lubricity and additive qualities. I use an oil in my truck, wifes car, boat, motorcycle, MH and genset that is warranteed by Amsoil to last 37,00 miles or 1 year. This not gimmicks or sales hype, its being done all over the country by thousands of users every day. I test my oil every 6000 miles. Never had a bad test yet and don't expect any and also do not use any oil between changes. I get better mpg's for far less cost (only 1 oil change/year) and better engine performance (more HP due to less internal friction) and cooler temps of the motor and tranny which means longer life.

I have been a user of synthetic oil since the 70's (Mobil 1) since living in the north country. Changed to Amsoil 4 years ago after checking out thoroughly. Motors start like its summer in the middle of winter! Oil also doesn't self destruct under heat like conventional oils do.

Please check this out yourself. Oil and lube technology has changed a lot and we need to keep informed. I try to wring every mile I can out of my vehicles and usually do pretty well. Look www.amsoil.com and www.mobil.com for more info. The test info is there. Challenge every claim that is made without proof from anyone including Amsoil. They can and do back it up with certified testing and thousands of satisfied customers. Look at their warranty on their website. As far as I know, they have never had to pay anyone for lube failure.

If anyone wants to know how I keep my MH lubed please ask and will explain. This far to long a post and don't want to step on anyones toes.

DARLING

In all 4 of our personal vehicles we have syn. Have since the 1st oil change. Honey changes them faithfully between 5000-6000 miles. Our 98 Sportage has 158,000 miles & still going strong. N0 Smoke. Nothing.

As our MH is a diese(cat) Honey says NO WAY is he puting syn in it. As we drove truck over the raod for almost 15 yrs, we know what works for us. WE put almost 480,000 miles on our Mack before it needed broke down. Shell Rotella is all he will use.

Maybe he is old school... BUT you go wtith what works.

Darlin :cool:

TexasClodhopper

Paul, welcome to the forum! That was some first post. Keep it up!

I want to hear more about your lube jobs on your vehicles. And please feel free to write a book on it here, because it ain't costin' nuttin'! :clown:

Grandview Trailer Sa

I put Amsoil in my Dodge Diesel years ago. LOVED what it did to the running of that engine. It was like I put another engine under the hood.

I stopped using it because of the dealer, not the product. Currently I have Rotella Synthetic in my Duramax's.

Paul, Where are you? I might like to talk to you.

DARLING

Ken

Would you recommend Rotella syn in diesel MH? Is there a cut off time in milage? Our new(to us) MH has 41k on it. Is it too lae to start?

Grandview Trailer Sa

I don't think it is too late to start. I have always been told as long as the engine in is good condition and not burning oil, synthetic is safe.

Ask Paul his opinion.

DARLING

WE were told with our personal vehicles(all gas) you had to do it in the first couple of thousand miles.

I will have to tell Honey that there is a syn Rotella. Maybe he will change. or not :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

NO NO NO, you don't have to start then for sure.

Synthetic Rotella is hard to find. The last I bought was at Walmart, but now they don't have it. You know wally world, one day something there, next day, NOT. The Advance Auto here had it at one time also.

DARLING

LIke I said earlier. He is old school. :eek: Change comes slowly :laugh:

Walmart, Sam's they are both alike. We usually buy our Rotella at Sam's. One time they have it in stock. They next time we have to wait a week or two or three. BUt they have the cheapest price around here.

btw How did your open house go :question: Well I hope. The guys did not come by & eat all your food & not buy anything.

G

i went to the open house and i bought a couple of burgers and also some spice bread ,, but the food was for a good cause ,, it was to support the local FD and i;m all for that ,, and Ken is a great guy ,, and his wife is just wonderful ,, he has a good bussiness setup ,, and i wish him well in the future ,, ok my 2 cents worth ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Paul235

Its not too late to use a synthetic in your rig. There are a lot of myths about synthetic lubricants and that is the most often quoted. I never buy a new car, truck or MH's. I try to find gently used ones that have lots of life left in them. Nothing fancy but has to be dependable. If you carefully track your mpg's and costs as we do it comes out a great big winner all the time. We highly recommend using an engine flush product before changing to our product to get rid of the gunk that conventional oil leaves in your oil system. You will be pleased and amazed with the results.

Just want to make sure everyone understands I am an Amsoil dealer but in no way am I selling anything here but good solid info to make your own conclusions about how to best keep all this motorized stuff running well.

Good RV'ing

Paul235

What in particular do you want to know about my own vehicle lube practices? I use the best oil that Amsoil sells because of lots of factual information thats published about testing by industry certified labs and test facilities. I drive a 12 year old pickup with 118,000 miles on it and my distance traveled on a tank of fuel has changed from 275 miles to 310 miles. The truck is driven the same every day to work and back on the same roads.

My wifes car is a 5 year old Crown Vic. with 74,000 miles. The initial change over last summer was done just before a long trip(6500 miles) and we averaged 23-24mpg's driving mostly 80mph on major interstate highways. This even after the govt screwing with the gas formulations with ethanol to keep the corn farmers making lots of money. The truck and car require no additional oil between annual changes. They both also have had the transmission fluids changed and it is know good for 100, 000 miles. When a change is done, everything is drained out including the torque converter. This is getting more difficult on soma cars as it has to pumped out due to a lack drain points built in them by the mfg's. Hope this helps.

I need to know a little more about the V10 in your Winnie. Have you had any issues with it? I have read about spark plug problems from some people. I also have a V10 in my MH with a Banks kit.

TexasClodhopper

I haven't had any trouble with my V-10 except the gas mileage. I think I'm getting near 30,000.

I wouldn't mind getting a 20% increase in gas mileage.

Except for the first oil, I've only had Mobil-1 in it. Would it still need to be flushed to add AMSoil? My problem is finding someone to do it around here. That's how I ended up with Mobil-1; availability.