taking 1st trip end of the week got questions

jkill2001

hey im taking the first trip with the rv this week actually this friday to sunday to be exact and i need to make a list of things i should have with me in the rv and i don't know where to begin. is there anywhere that i can look up on the net or can someone post up some things that i should add to my list of other things. i appreciate it thanks

hertig

Actually, before you take your 1st trip, you should go stay in a campground near your home for a few days. This will let you know right off what you are missing, and you can just go home (or to the store) and get it... Also, allows you to make sure everything works.

Most important are hook up things. Water hose (white) - at least 1 25', and 1 or 2 25' and a 10' would be better. An inline pressure regulator is manditory, and an inline water filter is very useful. It is a good idea to have a selection of right angle/45 angle/flexible adapters to allow hooking to some of the weird water taps out there without kinking your hose. Electrical adapters so you can plug into the 3 common services out there, 15 amp/30 amp/50 amp. At least 25' of electrical cord built into the trailer, and a matching 25' extention cord is nice. Some power services are not very reliable, so power conditioning/surge protection can be useful, but pricey. A plug in power line monitor is cheaper and will at least let you know if there is a problem.

Sewer hose, at least 2 10' sections, the heaviest duty you can get. A clear adapter tube or angle so you can monitor the dumping process, a good angle adapter to connect the other end to the dump site, a way to carry the hose(s) and parts after use, and rubber gloves. Some people carry a spray bottle of disinfectant. Eventually, you will need to worry about cleaning the tanks, but that can wait until you have some experiance.

Next is set up stuff. This includes ways to level and stabilize the unit if these are not built in. Options include various jacks, ramps, blocks and chocks.

Next, 'fill it up'. Propane tanks, some water in the main tank (depends on where you are going, because transporting water costs money - 1/4 tank seems a good choice unless the trip is long or there won't be any available at your destination), chemicals in the toilet if you use them (along with refills), septic friendly toilet paper, food, condiments, plates/cups/napkins/silverware (plastic/paper will do), towels, dishcloth (if needed), paper towels, cooking necessities, matches or lighter, good flashlight with extra batteries, fire extinguisher(s), soap.

And your personal stuff.

jkill2001

well thank u for the list and i can't take it anywhere local first since i gotta leave this friday and i work all this week so thats out. im not going to have any power hook ups where i am going to be parked at so i don't have to worry bout that. im going to be filling up with water lp is full already and i have chemicals for tank. just really gotta put some food,matches,flashlight, and other stuff in it.

jkill2001

well just got home from the first trip and came across a major problem that will be getting fixed this week. my generator for some odd reason would always bog out and choke out if i went to use any major appliance,toilet bowl was holding water like its supposed to,city water connection leaked. so the rv will be going back to the dealer to get fixed

ARCHER

Ya didn't say how big the generator is??? How old is it? If new, and at least 4,000 to 4,500 watts it sould have worked just fine. If it is older, it probably needs service. Where did your city water leak? At the hose connection (was the washer/rubber in the end of the hose?).
Other than what you stated, did you enjoy yourself? Hope so :) :laugh: :cool: :blush: :bleh: ;)

janicenlarry

Generators are very service dependent. Besides normal i.e. oil, filters, etc., it is mandatory that you run your genny at least once a month under heavy load. Failure to consistently do that is probably the biggest source of genny failure. Once you are out of warranty, the best place for genny service, bar none, is the Cummings/Onan service center. They always get the job done right and at the lowest cost. :laugh:

jkill2001

the generatory is a 5,000 watt from 96. the city water leaked behind where u screw the hose into but if i held it up it worked fine. motorhome is going back to where it was bought to get the repair work that they just fixed not even 1 week ago to get fixed again since its cracking. so other things will be done in the mean time, yes i had a blast the motorhome was great trailering my 24' enclosed trailer

hertig

I have had problems with leaks where the hose enters the trailer too. A 90 degree brass elbow screwed into the trailer, and then screw the hose into the elbow seems to help. Also, new gaskets (the ones which have a slight diamond cross section, not the flat ones) helps too.