Tapping Air Brakes for general purpose compressor

ratherbflyn

Hi all. I had an M&G aux brake system installed on my DP MH which has a umbilical hose to connect my toad. The hose uses a quick disconnect that fits standard compressor end attachments. I want to use this occassionally as a general purpose compressor to inflate tires, power an impact wrench to change wheels, etc. Is there any problem with doing this? Will it over stress pump or increase risk of pump failure? Thx for any advice.

akjimny

Re: Tapping Air Brakes for general purpose compressor

Doug - Ordinarily I would say yes, you should be able to inflate tires; not too sure about running an impact wrench tho. But then I read the M&G warranty:

"This warranty only covers failures due to defects in materials or workmanship which occur during normal and proper use and does not cover damage which occurs in shipment, or failures which are caused by products not supplied by M&G Engineering or failures which result from normal wear, misuse, abuse, neglect, mishandling, misapplication, faulty installation, setup adjustments, improper maintenance, alteration, maladjustment, modification, commercial use or service of the product by anyone other than M&G Engineering."

So, since this is a new install, and the manufacturer doesn't state that it can be used for inflation, impact wrenches, etc - I would say No, because it will void your warranty. :( :( :(

ratherbflyn

Thanks guys. I was more worried about the MH pump than the M&G brake system. The coach is 15 yrs old so no warrenty issues...it's all on me. But thought more about the M&G system and the diverter valve on the coach side could be an issue. Called M&G who said they didn't recommend such use with their system and that the diverter valve is "sensitve." Not sure what that means, but seems like they are not comfortable with passing volumes of air through this system. One of heir dealers suggested instead replacing one of the petcocks on one of the main air tanks with a quick disconnect to do double duty as a drain and accessory attachment. Thoughts?

akjimny

Doug - You have a motorhome with a generator. Do what I did. Costco sells a small, 120 volt air compressor for around 40 bucks. It will inflate tires up to 180 psi and comes with attachments to inflate other things (air mattress, etc). It won't run an impact wrench. If I get in a situation where I need to air up a tire or something, I fire up the generator, plug in the compressor and go to it. Maybe not the best solution, but works for me. :) :) :)

ratherbflyn

Thanks Jim. That is my backup plan if I can't find a reasonable way to use the onboard pump. But the portable compressor takes up a lot of space. My MH has the center channel type chassis so most of my cargo comparments are 1/3 height with four of them 5 of them about 20" of full height space near the hatch. So cargo space is at a premium. The compressor would take up one of those full height sections...which I'm trying to avoid.

akjimny

Doug - The one I got at Costco is just a little bigger than a large shoe box - maybe 8x8x20. Like I said, it won't run an impact wrench, but it will get up to 180 psi. :) :)

ratherbflyn

Jim, what brand and model is it? I don't see one that size on their web site. That may fit in the smaller portion of my cargo compartments.

akjimny

Okay - had to take a trek down to the motorhome to look and this is what I found - it is a Bon-Aire, Model WH160C, max working psi 110. I was wrong about the 180 - probably need to get my bifocals checked. But since I only need 85 in the rear and 65 in the front, it will work for me.

I didn't find it on the Costco website, either, but it was there on the shelf in the Costco up here in Alaska. Go figure. :laugh: :laugh:

ratherbflyn

Thanks for looking. I thought 180 sounded high for one that size. This definitely wouldn't power an impact wrench and might take a while to get my fronts to 105lbs. There's a Makita one that seems to get good reviews that I've been eyeing. But I'll exhaust my options with tapping the onboard system first.

Triple E

Doug you might want to look at the Viair 300P portable air compressor. On my 22.5" tires I have gone from 90 psig to 110 psig in under 2 Min's. Comes in a nice carrying case with all of the extra gadgets plus it take up very little room. The cost is around $150.00.