taxes and registration

dottiehe

I'm new at this and need info before buying.If I buy in a state like NC where taxes are tops $300.00 and bring the RV back to Ga. and register it,will I have to pay Ga. taxes along with the advelorum taxes and tags? We are thinking of after the initial registration going to SD and getting a drivers licence and registering it there.Please advise how to buy an RV and register it saving as much money as possible. We will be full timers as you can see from my previous post. Also where is the best place to get insurance?

Kirk

taxes and registration

Many years ago, all of the states agreed that the state where a vehicle is registered is the state where all taxes and fees will be paid. And to be legal, that state must be the state where the unit is garaged, or in other words, kept the majority of the time. If you plan to go fulltime, then you can easily choose any state as your legal residence, as long as you meet the requirements for residency in that state. Probably the most popular states for residency of fulltimers are Florida, S. Dakota and Texas. That is true because all three are easy to qualify for residency and none have a state income tax or excessive registration costs. Another way to save tax money would be to form a Montana LLC to own the RV and register it there. But that too only works if you are going fulltime. Since you don't say if you plan to go fulltime or not, you do need to realize that all states require those who live and work within their borders, to have a driver's license, vehicle registration and various other things in that state.

dottiehe

taxes and registration

quote:Originally posted by dottiehe

I'm new at this and need info before buying.If I buy in a state like NC where taxes are tops $300.00 and bring the RV back to Ga. and register it,will I have to pay Ga. taxes along with the advelorum taxes and tags? We are thinking of after the initial registration going to SD and getting a drivers licence and registering it there.Please advise how to buy an RV and register it saving as much money as possible. We will be full timers as you can see from my previous post. Also where is the best place to get insurance?

dottiehe

taxes and registration

Yes I will be going fulltime.I live in Georgia now and I will purchase here and take off but I don't want to pay the sales tax in Georgia.I did plan on making my way to SD on the first trip and establish residency and all that but how do I get out of paying Ga. tax?

RV-VOL

taxes and registration

As a Dealership in the Sate of Tennessee we do not collect any out of state taxes. If we sell a unit to a customer from another state they are to pay taxes in the state they want the unit titled in. We can not title a Rv in Tennessee to an out of state address. The only money collected when we sell to customer off the internet is a $5.50 fee for a 30 day Temp tag to cross state lines. The customers then takes the bill of sale to the court house in the county where they will have it titled.
Tennessee sales tax is 7% of the purchased price

Happy Camping

obasfj

taxes and registration

Please look carefully at another aspect of the registration, INSURANCE. We were considering South Dakota, when I ask for a quote from Good Sam to cover replacement they responded they do not write this type of coverage if registered in South Dakota. Have not gone further, but right now our home sate is Washington and as ling as they keep the registration where it is at we will porbably keep it when we go fulltime.

Jack and Sue
04 Allegro Bus Toad 04 Liberty
2 Goldens and a cat.

hertig

taxes and registration

There is no way not to pay registration somewhere if it is ever going to be on the road. You may be able to not pay sales tax if you buy from a private party. But check the local regulations, as some places impose sales tax on large private sales, or other taxes instead.

janicenlarry

taxes and registration

Most full timers use TX or FL as their base. There are of course other low cost states but these two seem to have most of the registered fulltimers. Good Sam has a mail operation in Pensacola and they will furnish all of the forms to switch your residence to FL. It really is painless and unlike GA, FL has no income tax. Cost of registration is also low. For example, in FL my 99 Chieftain and 99 Jeep Wrangler had a total plate cost of $84/yr. In GA, the Jeep alone costs well over $200 for plates. Insurance coverage in FL was also less expensive with better coverage. EX: In FL, policies must include no deductible windshield replacement whereas many other states, it is an expensive additive with a high deductible.
If you select TX, join Escapees in Livingston and they will also make it easy to become a TX resident. :cool:

the_vfox

taxes and registration

If you come to SD, It will 3 percent of adjusted sales price. If you buy used, it will also be 3 percent. Depending on the rig you get, you might also have to pay the weight tax. After that the plates fees are based on year and weight. My D/A is 80 per year now, and the trailer is 126 per year.

:cool:

obasfj

taxes and registration

Be caceful about SD, an insurance carrier told us they could not or would not write full replacement insurance in SD