Telephone & Cable

sepisllib

Have been thinking of picking up a roll of cable and telephone wire. We have the hookup on the left rear of our coach. Looking for experienced out there. What length is usually needed for hooking up to campsite cable and telephone systems?

I am assuming a 25 foot roll of each should do the job - but thought I would ask you all what you have and what you do.

Telephone - anyone had particularly good or bad luck with a make or type of telephone? We are a little reluctant to obtain a cordless for the coach - but value your thoughts and experience.

Can hardly wait to get out there full timing - but unfortunately business is calling for a while yet. We are going to try to get away 1 or 2 weeks a month starting in May of next year though.

Bill & Judy
c22rr

turnipbwc

Telephone & Cable

Bill,
I bought a 25'roll of each and only use what I need to hook-up. The rest I leave rolled up with a plastic tie on it. My hook-ups are on the drivers side and easy to get to. I always use my cell phone and never took a lap top out with me so I don't use the phone hook-up. Going full time I could see where you might want a regular phone.
Good Luck on the full time.
turnip42
Ray

Kirk

Telephone & Cable

I not only use the telephone connection, it is the way that I am presently on the internet. We are in an RV park in Las Vegas where we have phones at each site. I carry a 10' & a 25' phone cord and have only once connected the two together in order to reach the connection. Both phone and cable are usually mounted on the same pedestal as the power, or right next to it. Our motorhome was prewired for phones and we ordered it that way. We have a cordless phone by Uniden, but any quality cordless will work just fine. We chose this one because it wall mounts in a location near the phone jack in such a way that it is out of the way and yet handy. With a cordless we can carry the phone anywhere we might want or need it with no wires in the way.

janicenlarry

Telephone & Cable

Hey start with 25' and if you have a site needing longer, there is always a WalMart or Radio Shack nearby to get addl cable. Go for a cordless phone as they are much more convenient. :cool:

hertig

Telephone & Cable

cables: I had 25' and the second time I went to hook up, I was a few feet short. Managed it, by running under the trailer, through the frame, to eliminate the cord needed to go from hookup to ground and ground back up to the trailer port. It worked, but would have been totally impractical for more than overnight (and dangerous!). Since then, I carry 2 25' coils (couldn't find 10'- 15' for the second coil, which might be more conveniant), and a connector to tie them together when needed. Might be a good idea to have a plastic bag and velcro ties along, so you can 'waterproof' any external connections. Also check the place where these wires attach to the trailer to ensure this is weather resistant.

phone: Since I seldom stay more than a night or two at one place, I'd go with the cell phone. For longer stays (or internet) a landline would be useful; I'd use any decent quality phone (I've had good luck with Bell brands) which does NOT require external power. Wireless are sure handy, but anyone with a scanner can listen in to your calls (illegal, but since when has that been a deterrent :) Plus, they require an external power source (to recharge them), which may or may not be a problem for you.

sepisllib

Telephone & Cable

I am listening and learning. From what you all are telling me - I should prepare for most anything. From short - short hookups to a long ways away. I believe that I shall do the following:

Phone: I believe I will obtain two (2) coils of 25 ft length with an adapter that will allow the conntection of both 25 ft lengths - should it be necessary. Waterproofing for the hookup is not a bad ideal also (my coach has a weatherproof hookup on the left rear).

Phone: I believe the cordless is reasonable - even though one can evesdrop easy (believe it or not - the technology exists for evesdropping on wired connections - even without a tap). But I believe I will obtain a cordless unit that will allow the phone to be used as a base unit - without picking up the hand unit.

Cable: Same thing - I believe two (2) 25 ft lengths of cable with adapter would be wise.

We plan on stopping at campsites and areas and staying there for a few days to a couple weeks at a time. Thus the desire for phone service (plus we can use our calling card at 3.4 cents per minute).

We will also have a cell phone for anywhere and any time should we need it. Roaming charges can be rather high though so I am going to present this question next.

Thanks to everyone - god bless and hope to see each and every one of you.

Bill & Judy

LotRott74

Telephone & Cable

Hey Bill here is a smaller photo to post...I forgot to give you a cropping lesson when I showed you how to post photos ;)

c22rrsmall.jpg

sepisllib

Telephone & Cable

Hey! Thank you for the cropped photo. I don't know how to do that initially - but will just use the one you sent through.

I stopped by our local Radio shack and bought 2 rolls of phone cable 25 feet and a coupler. Then I bought the same for my cable hookup. That should be sufficient to supply nearly every need.

Now - trying to decide on the phone to purchase but belive we will go with a cordless with speaker phone capabilities.

Not that we are rushed - there is not a chance we will be able to begin using our unit until spring - probably around May.

My son has consented to handling my business client load the 2nd half of each month starting in April or May.

Thank you again for help.

Bill & Judy

hertig

Telephone & Cable

If you have access to a Costco (or perhaps a Sams Club), they have a pretty good deal on wireless phones (usually with multiple handsets).