Temporary Storage

Huey9

This is my first post as my RV has been in my posession less than a week. My question is in regard to temporary storage, probably for about a month. Our very tentative plan is to roam all over the southern states but would then want to leave the RV parked somewhere, fly back home for about a month, and then fly back to the RV to continue the odyssey. (The trip home by RV would be about 3500 miles round trip) Will many campgrounds allow such temporary storage? Any pros or cons regarding this idea would be appreciated.

C Nash

Temporary Storage

Hugh, Most of the campgrounds here offer storage for around 30 dollars per month. The mini storage lots also offer RV storage.

hertig

Temporary Storage

be aware that 'mini-storage' lots seem to have a high incidence of minor theft and vandalism...

Huey9

Temporary Storage

Thanks for the tip John. Do you consider storage at a campground any better or would you just drive the RV home and avoid the storage altogether?

hertig

Temporary Storage

Storage anywhere except on your own (owned or rented) property is a problem. Most storage locations tend to be in 'cheap' areas, which are not noted for either their conveniance or their security. If at all possible, I'd store it at home, where I could keep an eye on it, and loading/unloading/maintenance was the easiest. Besides, I use it as a guest room :)

Of course, for your usage, this probably won't work (unless you buy a small property near the area you will be roaming, and even then security will likely be a problem). If it was me, I'd do the round trip in the RV, or more likely, spend the winters RVing in the south and the summers 'at home' in the north. Of course, I'm too big and too independant to subject myself to the airline industry...

I haven't tried storing at a campground, but if it was cost competitive I would be willing to try it (assuming the campground was good quality and the security seemed adequate). Fortunately, I haven't had to store my trailer anywhere except right next to my carport, where my only problem has been people trying to buy it :)