Terrible experience

C Nash

While traveling on Interstate 65 at alabama mile marker 295 I saw a semi hit two cars and a pickup. Did not see what caused it but the semi hit the pickup and totatly demolished it and it burst into flames and trapped the driver inside. The semi came to a stop on top of the car. I grabbed my fire extingisher and tried to keep the fire off the driver. We could get him halfway out the window but he was to big to get through the opening. Luckly someone had a saw and sawed the w/shield piller into and we were able to pull him out. His right leg was burned so bad the flesh was falling off. Guess he was in shock because he never said anything and the pain had to be terrible. Don't know what other injuries he may have had but we had no choice other than to pull him from the burning truck. have not been able to sleep for the past two nights. Never went and look in the car but I understood no one was in it. Every time I close my eyes I see the pleading eyes of the guy. Funny thing I can't even remember if he was white, black or foreign. all I could see was a fellow human suffering. If anyone was in the passenger side of the pickup they did not stand a chance of even surviving the impact and that side was in total flames. Terrible experience and I know this is not the place to post such but just can't seem to shake it. Have not been able to find out if he survived.

Krazeehorse

Terrible experience

Hang in there Chelse. God bless you for helping. Things will work out the way they were intended. You did your part and be at peace with that. Krazee

team3360

Terrible experience

Chelse, Just hang in there . I've been there, 13 years VOL. FIREDEPT. been retired from F.D. 12 years , It does get better, I've had nightmares ,still have nightmares. It will help to talk to someone, Fire dept., Clergy, Doctor, even just a friend. All I can say is just thank the good Lord upstairs that it was not a loved one or a child, and I'll leave it at that. TALK to somebody, it will help LEE

TexasClodhopper

Terrible experience

Thank you for saving a life! I consider that heroic! I hope you are there if I get in a jam! Thanks Chelse!

turnipbwc

Terrible experience

Chelse,
You did a heroic thing in helping that man so in my book you are a Hero. This country needs more people like you.
When I was driving over the road back in the 70's I saw a pick up truck hauling eggs slide under a semi trailer and the two men in the pick up were decapitated. You can just imagine the mess with all those eggs broken. I did not have the nerve to stop and to this day I think about it often.
Try to block it out of your mind even though it's hard to do. You might even check in to sleeping pills so you can get a good nights sleep. Thanks for helping that man as I know his family is greatful to you.
turnip

Shadow

Terrible experience

Chelse,you are a true hero. You saved a man's life with total disregard for your own safety. I'm sure the look in the man's eyes was partly gratitude. I for one am proud to call you a friend. Take care of yourself.

C Nash

Terrible experience

Thanks, talking does help but still waking at night and seeing those pleading eyes. No hero here just doing what any one of you would have done and was not alone in helping the guy. Could have never pull him through the opening without help. Think there were about four pulling and prying and several stopped with fire extinguishers. Really makes you stop and think how fragil life is and how quick it can be lost. As I traveled on south it was amazing to hear others in the north bound lane on cbs complaining that they had to stop. I radioed them and told them there were several people on farther up the road that would be glad to change places with them. Thanks again for listening.

SnowbirdInFlight

Terrible experience

No offense to turnip, but DO NOT start on sleeping pills! This will not help you over a long period, but it will cover up your problem. And there is always the chance you'll end up hooked on sleeping pills to get you through the night and you don't need that.

Your best bet is to talk about it and time. Time will eventually help you more than drugs. Drugs are never the answer for something like this. If you need to bend someone's ear, try a trusted friend, clergy, or a psychitrist.

Time does heal all wounds. Don't think about what could have been but focus on the positive and what you did to save a human life. God Bless you for what you did and I pray you sleep the sleep of the God Blessed person you are because God chose you to save one of His children.

C Nash

Terrible experience

Snowbird, this happened last Wed. around 9.30 AM March 8th. Pills are not for me. Only ones that I'll take are those that I have no choice and sometimes wonder about those

ARCHER

Terrible experience

Chelse,
Have not been on the net recently so did not know of your heroic deed, until Shadow called on the telephone and told the mrs what had happened and how hard it is to deal with. I had some experiences like that in Viet Nam, and it does take TIME and a focus on "it was the right thing to do". Like others stated, I sure hope your around and near by if I ever need that kind of help. Most folks are afraid to stop and get involved. My hat is off to you Chelse. I have no doubt in my mind the fellow you helped is alive today because of you and the others that helped you. He may have lost a leg, but I feel he is alive and with his loved ones who will help him heal physically and mentally.
I'm proud to know you and the kind of person you are......it will get better.

C Nash

Terrible experience

Thanks all, shows what a great crowd we have on this forum. passed back by the place of the wreck for the first time since it happened today an a cold chill went from head to foot. Time is the healer. Have to pass that spot twice a day on my route. Got stopped by DOT today and was hoping the officer might have some information if he survived. He knew nothing but did write me up for lights being 14 1/2 inchs from the ground instead of 15 inches :eek: . He really was a nice trooper and just going by the rules. D.O.T is pretty strict and they probably prevent a lot of accidents by checking all these trucks.