The Automatic Step

gpm

I have a 2003 Newmar with a step that has a mind of its own. It will retract (sometimes!) when you put the rig in drive and then extend while you are traveling. When you are set up at a campground and the rig is turn off, the switch to extend or retract the step behaves infrequently. The coach batteries are showing a min. 12 volts and typically when at a campground I'm on a/c. My guess its a sensor problem. The rig is now winterized and, of course, the step is out! Any thoughts? :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove:

Gary B

The Automatic Step

Hi gpm, first off I'd start by lubercating the entire step assy, you have to get under the step s and besure to lube the pivot shaft bearings under the steps themselves, then disconnect the electrical connector and check for corrision you can spray WD40 on the connector spades etc. If this fails to help then check the switchs it maybe the on/off switch has corroded internal contacts, sometime you can get them going again by spraying a contact cleaner into the rocker part and flipping the switch on and off may times or you may have to replace the switch, hope this helps. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

Lil Truckr

The Automatic Step

GPM, don't screw with it. Either take it back to the dealer you purchased it from or contact the manufacture of the step and see what they say. You paid way to much money for your coach to have this problem and not have it resolved properly.

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.

Lil Truckr

C Nash

The Automatic Step

If it's still under warranty I would do as Lil Truckr said but, if it's not I would get a wiring diagram and start tracing. It probably goes through the neutral safety switch to retract in drive but, it also could read off the computer. i think Newmar has a tech dept that should be able to give some advice. Good luck and keep us posted

Kirk

The Automatic Step

I would agree with Gary about lubing things, but not with WD40. You should use a dry lubricant spray as any oil based lubricant will collect dirt and soom make the problem worse. And NEVER use WD40 on electrical connectors. I have made a lot of money repairing electrical equipment over the years where WD40 or other such products have been used. Petroleum products migrate from where used to where it wants to go and it also carries electricity as well as collecting dirt. Use a tuner cleaner on the electrical connections, or another product made for that purpose.

The step should retract when you put the transmission in gear and it should stay there. It sounds as though it is loosing the signal from the transmission. A poor connection is a very likely possibility as is the poor ground. I suggest that you check all connections with a meter. Also, a visit to the Kwikee website is worth your time as they do have some help there.

gpm

The Automatic Step

Thanks for all the good insight. In fact I did get a reply back from Newmar saying I should take it to a local Newmar dealer. Its questionable if its still in warranty now. But, at first opportunity its going in for repair. Other than the step, its been a great rig. You just have to be alert when exiting. ;)