The Geo Method / Black and Gray Water Holding Tank

benwd

Re: The Geo Method / Black and Gray Water Holding Tank

utah-----as soon as you detect something you don't like click on another thread or click out. it's sort of like using a tv remote.

SnowbirdInFlight

Now boys!

thduel.gif

DL Rupper

Snowbird, this is getting to be more than I can take. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: These little duelers are over the top. Now I'm really, really jealous.

SnowbirdInFlight

DL Rupper - 3/4/2007 8:30 AM Snowbird, this is getting to be more than I can take. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: These little duelers are over the top. Now I'm really, really jealous.

Hee hee, I've got to watch what I write DL, I've got a cyber-stalker following me around on the board sending me private messages telling me how bad I am!
hairraise.gif
So, I guess this subject is just like...
thdeadhorse.gif
Plus I've been really sick with the stupid sinus infection
thsick.gif
and don't feel like being hounded by the in-house resident hounder. I think he is a little bit
thcrazy.gif
if you ask me
lma03.gif

So, this is the last on this thread for me, I wouldn't want the thread police to harrass me anymore!
gaah.gif
!

thtravel.gif

TomAndJanie

I'm going to try out the water softener/detergent mix. I'll hold off on using the bleach because I'm still concerned that it might have a bad affect on the septic system(s) I'm dumping into. Frankly, any fear of an ill affect on the valve seals is moot! Our fifth-wheel is a 2002 model and we've had problems with the black water valves twice, already. They are the cable operated valves and end up not fully closing, usually within about two years (of installation or repair.) I had them fixed the first time under warranty, but now I'm waiting on a new electric valve to come in so I can fix it myself this time. At least then I'll have an LED indicator to show when the valve hasn't closed. One of the gray water valves is doing the same thing, now. In nearly 20 years of RVing, the only valves that I've ever had trouble with are the cable operated ones and, of course, our RV has an enclosed belly so we have to cut holes to access the valve itself. I'm in the process of trying to clean out some build-up so the job of replacing the valve won't be quite as disgusting.

texasgal03

RE: The Geo Method / Black and Gray Water Holding Tank

Good afternoon all!

I'm new to the boards and new to the RV world so I thought you guys could answer some questions for me regarding the Geo Method.

Seems like it works great - I understand that you're to use the water softener and detergent while using your tanks, but what about when you're done for the weekend and you're trailer is going to be stored for a week or so? Do I put some water, water softener, detergent and bleach in my black tank while it's stored to keep the odors down and such? Also, do I continue to put this mixture in my black tank/grey tank each time I dump or just every so often? If every so often, what do I put in it during the times I'm not putting it in my tank?

I really appreciate everyone's feedback as it seems there's some pretty knowledgeable folks around here! :)

BTW - I have a 2007 Jayco Jay Feather 29ft travel trailer. Much appreciated!

Kirk

What you have here is an excellent example of "RV folk lore." This supposed method was devised and promoted by a self proclaimed expert. Mr Bruni is a self proclaimed expert. I contacted the Calgon manufacturer and they asked what ever made me think that their product would clean an RV waste tank? If you use enough water in your waste tanks you can probably put most things into them with no great harm. This supposed "method" really does no harm as long as you don't over-use the suggest chlorine bleach. If you visit the sites of fulltimers, you will find that the vast majority use nothing at all but generous amounts of water. What the whole thing does best is to help him to sell his stuff and make money.

texasgal03

I appreciate the feedback, Kirk - :)

I'm currently using the standard tank chemicals in my black tank - is it best for me to continue putting in this chemical into my black tank while I have it stored? Suggestions?

hertig

The Calgon doesn't do anything about the sewage, but it increases the 'cleaning power' of the soap and water to help get the crud off the walls and floor of the tank. The Geo method seems to work for a lot of people who try it, and I don't think the guy who presented it gets anything from it, except perhaps pride.

You really don't want anything in your tanks when you are storing the RV. Before storing it, dump and flush the tanks really well. Store it empty. In fact, for long term storage, they make a grill which fits over your dump pipe so you can leave the valves open, but I haven't tried it. No problems so far just storing it empty.

If the chemicals you use are enzyme based, I have heard that heat kills the little buggers. If they are not enzyme based, they may or may not have a problem with long term storage; I'd be nervous about leaving anything in the tanks for a 'long time' (a month or more).

texasgal03

Thanks for the info John! I was under the impression that I had to leave some of those chemicals in my black tank while it's stored until my next travel? I've been flushing after dumping and I actually use the Flush King to backflush several times - I just thought I was supposed to keep those chemicals in there while it's stored to keep the odor down. Good to know! So, once I've dumped and finished backflushing, I just store it without putting anything else in my tank until I use it again, right?

Thanks again for the advice! :)

hertig

That's the way I was taught. Since enzymes are 'bacteria food' and chemicals have the potential for unintended chemical reactions, makes sense to me. Anyone have a different viewpoint?

There are two forms of back flusher, the Flush King and the other one. One shoots the water back up the pipe, and the other has a second valve so it fills the tank from the dump port back. I could not decide which I liked better, so I made a 'combo' by mounting a second valve on the end of the one which shot water back up the pipe. Now I could both pressure wash and backfill the tank. Worked well, but not as well as the built in flusher in my current RV.

DL Rupper

The Geo method works and my tank level sensors work better when I use the Geo method than when I use the commercial tank products. Therefore common sense tells me the calgon must help clean the tanks. I use the bleach occasionally to freshen the tanks and kill the bad guy germs, but only put a cup in ea tank about 1/2 hour before I dump. The bleach shouldn't hurt the tanks/valves/gaskets anymore than when it is used to sanitize the fresh water tank. :laugh:

G

what about the lube for u'r valves,,, if all that stuff is in the tank then are the valves working ok.. or do u really have to pul them to opem them up,,, what about the sensors ?? are they correct or do they need lube too...
Just some random things to think about... :) :)

SnowbirdInFlight

Texasgal, you'll find some people won't admit to some things that are just plain and simple in theory. They haven't tried it, have no fact to base their opinion on, but they just resist something they didn't think of themselves. The Geo Method does work and it is plain common sense. Ignore the ones who haven't tried it, yet feel the need to put it down.

hertig

I don't know that the Geo method will 'lube the seals' adequately. Perhaps using some standard chemical which claims to maintain the seals instead of Geo every so often would be a good idea. Or I have seen 'lube seal' only chemicals at Camping World. Perhaps adding them to the Geo method would help.

texasgal03

Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I'll give the Geo a try and then put some standard chemicals in my tank while it's stored in between trips. Looking forward to see if it works! Thanks again and happy trails to y'all! :)

Kirk

texasgal03
As I said, it won't hurt anything as long as you use plenty of water. There really isn't anything in it that is harmful. You will find that there is a supporter for pretty much every theory and product. The key ingredient of whatever you choose to use is water. Just be careful if you start to mix things.

rupertandsandy

okay i am new so im wondering if since i cant find water softner anywhere around here would fabric softner liquid work to? if not then would just the landry soap and bleach do it? or can anyone tell me where you buy your water softern and what department it is sold in

DL Rupper

I buy "Calgon" at Wal-Mart in the laundry soap/detergent dept. It's usually in a small bottle and sells for about $4.50. I have found a powdered water softener out West in a big box (different brand) for considerably less money. But, it is really hard to find. I don't think the fabric softener works the same way.

texasgal03

Welcome aboard RupertandSandy - :)
I echo DL Rupper's post in that I also found liquid Calgon Water Softener at Walmart in the laudry detergent aisle. I should also tell you that you may not always find it though. I've looked at some other Walmarts or grocery stores in my area and sometimes it's not there. The liquid Calgon tends to be on the high side as far as $ goes, but I think it's worth it. I tried it out for the first time this past weekend and let me tell you, all kinds of stuff came out of my black tank - :eek: Of course, also using Kirk's suggestion, I used lots and lots of water during my stay and backflushed several times with my Flush King. I was very pleased - :) I also used a little bleach in the tanks while backflushing so I'm curious to see how that helped when I visit the trailer this weekend for it's first wash (just bought it May 1st).
Good luck and happy trails!