The Geo Method / Black and Gray Water Holding Tank

rupertandsandy

Re: The Geo Method / Black and Gray Water Holding Tank

okay thanks i have people looking at all our local stores for calgon for me or anything that says water softner for the laundry. if all else fails i will be back with more can i use this's or thats' lol

hertig

Fabric softener is COMPLETELY different from water softener. The Calgon (I got the boxed stuff from Safeway) tends to 'soften' the water, making it better for cleaning. Sort of 'turbo boost' for the detergent...

DL Rupper

Hey texasgal03, be careful with the bleach. Don't use too much and don't leave it in your tank for too long. It may have a corrosive affect on your valves/seals. I usually only leave it in a short period of time.

texasgal03

Thanks DL - I put a little bleach in a lot of water and then dumped it so I'm hoping it was diluted enough to not cause any problems. As a precaution, I may go ahead and run some more water through it this weekend and dump it again. Thanks for the heads up! :)

javaseuf

RE: The Geo Method / Black and Gray Water Holding Tank

Well, I just got back from my latest trip after using the Geo Method for the first time.
I must say that I am pleased with the results. The sewage had very little, if any, odor when I dumped. Time will tell if the process will get my sensors clean so they can begin working properly again.
I used a liguid water softner since I couldn't find a powdered, added 2 cups of Gain powdered laundry detergent and a cup of bleach.

Now, to the guy that condemed ones that flush bleach into a sewer system, where does your bleach go that you are using in your laundry? Sorry, but I use bleach a few times a week in my sewer system at home when I do laundry and haven't had any failure in the 14 years I've been doing it.

Another kudos from this Geo believer.

texasgal03

That's great to hear javaseuf! I have to say that I have yet to hear one bad thing about the Geo so each time I hear something positive, it makes me feel that much more confident in the method. :)
I also use a liquid version of the softener and I use liquid detergent - I figure the powdered versions may take longer to dissolve.
Thanks for sending a positive message and we'll see you down the road!

SnowbirdInFlight

We got a brand new Super Center Wally World and I could not find the water softner, so finally I ask the guy who worked there and he pointed it out. Small bottles, bottom shelf and blended in... very hard to see. I told the guy no wonder I couldn't find it because it was in a bad spot. He said he was surprised they still sold it because it didn't sell very well. I told him that they should put it in the RV section and they would probably sell it out, lol.

DL Rupper

If it helps clean out a #$%@&* black tank, it pbobaly works really good in the washing machine. Think I'll try it on a batch of clothes. :laugh: :approve:

Kirk

Most fulltimers sooner or later come to a point where they use only water. Putting a bunch of other stuff in the tank is just pouring money into it.

DL Rupper

Kirk does have a good point. Unless you have an RV that isn't vented properly and your tank(s) emit noxious odors, you probably only need to clean it/them out occasionally with calgon and detergent for your own sense of well being. Lots of water will keep it rinsed out. I use the calgon in an ongoing fight with my 12 year old monitor sensors. I'm determined to bring them back to full usage and calgon seems to work best. I'm not sure why I'm fighting this monitor issue as I pretty well know how long I can go between tank dumps. Between the chemicals and calgon/detergent I have probably spent enough money chasing this issue to purchase new tanks and sensors. Oh well, can't think of a better way to spend my time and money. Whatever, turns you on.

I think most of us go around worrying we are stinking up the campground. That's exactly what the tank chemical manufactures want us to think and they certainly gear their advertisements to that point of view.: :bleh: :approve:

I do occasionally use a valve lubricating chemical (coconut oil) to keep my tank valves operating smoothly. Not even sure the lubricant is required. :eek:

calbrewin

My 1st post on this site, I have had my trailer for 2 years, not as seasoned as many here. I try to get out 7-10 times a year, mostly extended weekends. The Geo method is the only method I have used since I got the trailer, as I had done alot of reading and searching online on how to keep up my trailer before I purchased one. I like the Geo Method, my sensors work great, no odor, and easy to do. I do usually put detergent, softener, and a little bleach into my black tank along with 5--10 gallons of water so it agitates and cleans tank thoroughly on the drive. :)

boomerboater

Hmmm! Exciting discussion on a really nasty subject. Since my wife and I had "the mountain of death" last summer I have learned a lot! We DO fill the tanks completely now, and sometimes intentionally travel to our next destination so things get nice and sloshed around. I will try the GEO method. The water softener sounds logical. Thanks for all the info! Boomer

JanetG

We never use chemicals in our black tank and we use Scott's one ply toilet paper, not the made for RV type. No problems. We slosh with bleach added as we drive too---very effective.

DL Rupper

Hey calbrewin and JanetG, welcome to the forum. Keep on posting, we need all the RV experience, expertise and adventures new members can bring to the forum. :)

TexasClodhopper

Hey, DL! With that welcome to the new members, you just passed the century mark! You get a red star! ;) :)

DL Rupper

I hope that doesn't mean I'm a "red" from the old Cold War days. :laugh:

Kirk

JanetG

As you can easily see, this is a pretty hot topic with many people and some take the experience of others as a personal attack! After seven + years of fulltime RV living and more than 35 years of RV ownership, we have tried most of the stuff out there and like every experienced fulltimer we know, have come to the point of not wasting money buying commercial additives or home brew stuff. But the key is to always use generous amounts of water as that will overcome the short comings of just about anything you put into your wast tanks. Use a toilet paper that is "septic friendly" as well and with lots of water you will not have problems. We happen to be of the opinion that we should all be moving to a more environmentally friendly way of living and as such I would never use bleach because it is a killer of natural bacterias that make septic systems and sewer plants work. But even that won't damage much unless you use far more than any home brew I am aware of advocates. Also, the chlorine in bleach breaks down by 50% every 72 hours or so in hot weather and over time in all conditions so the long term harm is minimal. Three things that I would consider vital no matter what you choose to believe about adding things to the waste tanks. First, always use lots of water. Second, never dump the black tank unless it has 1/2 or so of it's volume to cause a rush of fluid and carry out any solids still there. Third, get some type of flush tool or system and use it on a regular basis to prevent any build-up of solids that stay in your tanks.

murfette

RE: The Geo Method / Black and Gray Water Holding Tank

New to RVing. The Geo method is something I am looking into. One question - if you no longer use chemicals to break down the solid waste, what breaks it down? Maybe I overlooked something. Thanks in advance. :)