The perfect 5th wheel rig survey

BluegrassGuy

:) If you were to full time, what would be the idea set-up you would choose - such as length, slides, brand, interior, etc? I plan to use this information in selecting a fifth wheel - where better place to get this information than from you experienced rv'ers.
Input is appreciated.

hertig

Unfortunately, the answer will depend on how many of you there are, your sizes now and expected sizes in the future, your tow vehicle, the amount of time you will be travelling rather than set up in one spot, your hobbies, professions, pets, preferred types of location, etc.

For instance, if you travel a lot, you may want to choose a unit which you can use with the slides retracted. On the other hand, if you stay in one place for 3 months, and then go a days travel to the next spot, you could be better off with lots of slides, even if the trailer is unusable while they are retracted.

One thing, whichever one you get, make sure that it is rated for full time. Many of the trailers out there will not stand up to that usage, and I've heard that some manufacturers even void your warrenty if you full time in their units.

BluegrassGuy

Thanks for the input. I recently joined the RV Consumer Group and until then I had no idea of the various ratings for full timing, etc. My wife and I are considering full timing for the next five years without any previous experience. Our intent is to not stay for long periods of time in one place, but to be fairly mobile. We will on occassion have our two grandchildren with us. I have been checking out various rigs in the 30' - 34' range with a couple of slides. Don't want to go too big or small, and want to be able to easily hook up and go. Have you heard anything about Mobile Suites by Doubletree? I live in Louisville, Ky. and plan to spend a lot of time at the NA Rally here this month.

hertig

Nope, sorry, the only one I have experiance with is Terry, and I would NOT recommend them for full time.

If you are going to be fairly mobile, I suggest you insist the saleman retract all slides, then you can see how usable the unit is with the slides retracted. I've seen some where you can't even go to the bathroom or fix a sandwich with the slides in. My requirements would be at a minimum to be able to fix and eat a meal, go to the bathroom and take a nap with all slides retracted...

What do you plan to use as a tow vehicle? Some of the trailers in that range might be on the heavy side.

BluegrassGuy

Considering a Ford 450 Diesel with a 4.88 axle ratio. Thinking about a smaller 5'er in order to go with a diesel F350. Have to go the Ford route due to having access to the "A" Plan through my brother.