Thinkin about another RV

utmtman

Been lookin at other motor homes. I know I have always hated a diesel cuz of fuel cost and maintenance compared to this gas hog of mine. But I am thinking of the weight I can carry as compared to the gas and also the added power for hills and such.
Based on what they are telling me I can almost trade mine straight across for one the same year or a couple of years older.
I just got the ultra power and new plugs and wires in mine and so I am struggling.

I also have had a lot of pains with mine with things breaking down and being a pain getting this rig repaired almost constantly.
We have had the furnace board replaced
Water heater board replace twice and now its out again
The cables for black and grey drain doors replaces a couple of times
Batteries replace
Converter replaced
Leaking slideout repaired that is leaking again

Any suggestions?

H2H1

Re: Thinkin about another RV

trade, I went to Atlanta RV show yeserday and they are willing to do anything for a trade. So I say if can do then do it. I wished I could , but right now I can't even with the deals they are offering.

tinkerer

RE: Thinkin about another RV

We bought a 2007 Discovery last year down at Quartzite. We have a Campers World near us in Wisconsin and they have honored any warranty work need done. They also have first class mechanic's in my opinion. The main problem we had with the coach was the leveling jacks, but after the mechanic from campers world worked on them they have been working. I like the Cat diesel, good power in the hills. It won't shift until the Rpms drop below 1500. We like the full slide on the one side. There are a lot of DP that are bigger with more power, more bells and whistles than the Discovery but they also are a lot more money.

G

Tinkerer is right ,, the bigger the coach ,, the more stuff to go wrong ,,, but IMO i would go with the DP ,, yes it's more maint ,, and such ,, but in the long run ,,, it will pay for itself ,,, hell 100,000 miles on a diesel engine is nothing ,, just broke in ,,, mine only has 35,000 on it ,, and a 1997 ,,,but i hope to change that very soon ,,, and there alot more mods u can do to the DP ,, if u want to spend the money ,, but it does effect the MPG ,, :disapprove: but the feel of pulling a 15% grade at 65 ,, and the black smoke rolling ,, is a thing u won't forget ,, but think it over Lee ,, u got to decide on the MH ,, since u will be using it ,, and living in it :) :)

Shorty

I agree...
After driving a 1994 32' gas for 112k miles, sitting behind the wheel of a DP is, well, very quiet. The ride is superior, the power is there, more space, enough space for everything.
I can now hear my bride talk...still don't understand, but I can hear her ;)

utmtman

Well guys we went and looked and made an offer and they did not take it. They wanted us to pay double what we pay now. And I cannot afford that. I made them an offer to go up to 300 dollars more than what I pay now. They told me they would call me in two hours. I have not heard a word from them and that was at noon yesterday. I dont think I will hear from them either. They said they also wanted at least 15,000 down plus our rig on trade in. Would have loved to get one of them with four slides and a diesel engine but I cannot afford to jump to their tune whey they say they can do almost any tune I make and than they dont dance to mine. And also most of those we were looking at were older than my rig by two to three years.

vanole

Lee,

I would not give up. That is one dealer and one snapshot in time. Not sure you could trade straight across for the same year but I do feel there are deals to be had on upper end diesel coaches in the 00-04 years. As and example you know I'm layed up here after wrist surgery but the Mrs. wanted to learn to drive the M/H (that is a whole other story). So we drove around here locally and got a spot here in Va Beach Thusday and Friday at Holiday Trav-L Park. We pulled in next to and 03 Windsor that a retired Coast Guard couple just bought for a steal. The Windsor was manuf by Monaco discontinued in 03 brought back for a year or so and then discontinued again. It was a step above the Camelot and step below the Dynasty. I'm here to say this m/h put my fully loaded 07 Dynasty to shame. Fact is I had/have m/h envy after they gave us a tour. They paid right at 80k from a dealer in western NC.
Guess just keep looking and you will find the right fit. Not to be to nosy but what model(s) are you looking at and how far are you willing to travel?

V/R
Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly Navy

DL Rupper

Diesel Pushers are nice, but if you ever expect to get payback money wise on a diesel guess again. We have been "on the road" for 14 years and have covered the U.S. and Canada many times over. We have only put 100,000 miles on our 5th wheel (we keep track). You put your miles on the tow or towed vehicle. What with the higher price of diesel fuel, you will NEVER be money ahead. In all of our travels we have only put 325,000 miles on our Dodge Diesel trucks. For example this year we started out in Ohio and traveled through IN, IL, NE, WY, ID, OR,WA,CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM and we are in TX. That's about 9 mos and 4,000 miles on the 5th Wheel and 9 mos and 20,000 miles on our Dodge pickup. Our first years we moved farther and more often, but probably only manged about 10,000 mile /year on the 5th Wheel and 25,000 miles on the pickup. Most of the time the RV is parked in a RV park.

However, if it's POWER you CRAVE then the diesel is the way to go. Justifying the diesel by all the extra miles you will get out of it, just won't cut it. It will be 20 years old before you start to get payback on longevity. You would have to move every day of the year to put enough miles on the diesel to get payback. Just my opinion based on many miles of moving down the road. In all of our travels we have only put 325,000 miles on our Dodge Diesel trucks.

utmtman

Well I had talk to people and seen comments on the net about all these great deals people are getting right now. So thought I could get a good deal as well. I wanted to move up to a four slide or a full side slide and a diesel so I would not have to worry about weight. We have been over weight a couple of times not realizing it. Also a diesel has twice the storage space and I would love to have a little bit bigger closets than what we have now. We cant get more than four outfits into a closet. Lastly I was hoping to find something that maybe if we were lucky we would not have to get work on it every three to six months. I really did not want to buy new necessarily but I did not want to buy an older rig either. I would have gone 04 or newer. I can find them on the net from 50,000 on up. But all these here 02 and up were all over 100,000 and one 03 we looked at and liked he wanted 249,000 for it. Same one at ppl for 79,900 right now. I think these people here were taking people to the cleaners. And telling them of the great deals they were getting and yet they were selling like it was no ones business. They wanted a bath and a half rig like mine except a diesel and an 08 for 333,000 and yet mine two years ago was selling for 159,000 ok add a diesel than it would have only been around 2. So whats up with that?

tinkerer

I have not spent to much time looking at the rv lots but what I did notice is that there is no shortage of really high end DP. The ones that start out at $350000 on up. I also read somewhere that the they were able to sell some of the lower end models but the high end ones were dead in the water. The rumor has it that Country Coach is finished, is this true or just gossip? Also when the market is down your trade is worth very little. We traded last year and probably paid more than this year but we got a far better allowance then we would have got this year. :cool: :blush:

vanole

Lee,

It's the locale you are looking in. Snowbird heaven/nirvana right now. Get away from there and prices will adjust accordingly.

v/r
Jeff

utmtman

Oh we are going to look elsewhere as we travel. Besides I want to check out this ultra power I got installed and see what it will do.

LEN

Don't let him fool ya, he's got dieselitis Wants to have a dodge guy follow him for the scent/odor/smell. LOL
Lee when you least expect it a deal will fall on ya.

LEN

utmtman

I hope Len. Besides I really must not of wanted to change that bad or I would have found a way. LOL

DL Rupper

Well Lee they are hard to see as they whizzzzzz by. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

utmtman

Yea I believe I have seen a few whizzing by on the back of them flatbed tow trucks. ;) :laugh: :laugh: ;) Sorry could not resist.

C Nash

Lee you can't see them because they smoke so bad. :laugh: :evil: Heard Obama was going to make them ban them from the roads :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;) Now the noise is the way to reconize one :laugh:

utmtman

LOL and then some. Got a feller here I talk to the other day that has a diesel engine in his Jeep CJ4 and it is one noisy sun of a gun. Said he took it out of a dodge.