thinking of jioning the rv world..

New bee

I was looking for any adivce that you all might have for me. I was thinking of getting into rving. I have a couple of friends that have TT and I have been dendinhis ear to the pros and cons of it all. My wife used to camp and loved it i too have camped but never rv before. I have a dog that i would bring along. any ideas? I have a young child also not sure what the right age is to start rving?
Thanks in advance

Krazeehorse

I would beg an invite from your friends and head out some weekend and see what you like about their rigs and what you might like different. If you walk around a campground it will be easy to meet people with children the ages of yours and how they like the camping experience. My sons (as well as myself) started as tent campers in the Boy Scouts. Then the family went through a couple pop-up campers. The boys are gone now but mother and I still head out now and then in a twenty year old Wienerbeagle. Gonna wear a new one out when we retire. Welcome aboard, Krazee.

Kirk

The proper age is more dependant upon you than on the child. Our youngest son went camping his first time at about six months. Our oldest child was six at that time. And this camping experience was camping, as in a tent and not an RV. If you are thinking of a modern, self-contained RV, then I don't really see the problem as you have all of the home features, just in a smaller space. In addition to what has already been I suggest that you spend some time at a large RV show to learn what the choices are and what each one can cost. Of course there is also a good market in used RVs that will cost far less.

New bee

Thanks for the advice. I already begged my friend and he has agreed to let me borrow his TT. So we shall see. Thanks again

RV Doc

If there is one thing i have it's lots of RV years. My campimg started in scouts...eventuated in eagle. My family camped out from the time i was very young. My father bought his first Rv when i was in jr.high school. It was a class A and about 20ft. and looked like a big shoebox..this was 1965-66. I thought it was the greatest thing. He went on to own four more before his death in 1991.Ended up with a 36 ft. winebego chieftan. I inherited it but couldn't keep it because I didn't have storage. In 2000 I bought my first R.V. a winebago brave. about 22+ft. I drove it all over Texas,New mexico, took it up to Alberta Canada. I loved that RV. Last year I bought a 36ft Foretravel Unihome, Grand villa. It has all the bells and whistles.Its a 1992 and I have had to replace a number of things but have loved every minute of it. An Rv is the toy of all toys and my wife loves it too. 5 of my six kids are out of the house and the last is 14. we spend every other weekend gone..I have never regretted money I spend and spent on my RV and I even had to put a new engine in the Winebego..to answer your question. Look at the links on the internet and go for it. There is a learning curve to owning an RV and you have to be able to do some simple mechanic type stuff...Happy Camping....Rv Doc....Texas

flyboy1

Hey new bee, my in laws have been camping for years and I always enjoyed their travel tales with pictures and video. I thought I would someday give this a try. Well 3 years ago we thought we would rent a rig and give it a try. well instead we ended up buying a rig and havent looked back. WE BOTH LOVE IT. We live here in Central Florida and enjoy camping at Florida state parks as well as state parks in GA and AL ( so far that is ). We have three children all grown but our 4 yr old grandson i our full time camping buddy.

flyboy1

Hey new bee, my in laws have been camping for years and I always enjoyed their travel tales with pictures and video. I thought I would someday give this a try. Well 3 years ago we thought we would rent a rig and give it a try. well instead we ended up buying a rig and havent looked back. WE BOTH LOVE IT. We live here in Central Florida and enjoy camping at Florida state parks as well as state parks in GA and AL ( so far that is ). We have three children all grown but our 4 yr old grandson is our full time camping buddy. he has been going since he was 6 months old. One of my favorite memories is of our first trip to lakeview State park in Alabama and our little camper in his walker speeding around all over the campground. My only regret is my kids didnt get to do this. So I would give it a try we are having the time of our lives. Just tonight my wife said she cant wait to go. Have fun

New bee

I have been searching the Web and visiting RV dealers. My wife and have decided to go for it and now just waiting for the RV show in Boston in Jan. After that we are going to buy. I think we are buying new but not %100 yet. I think with my GMC 1500 i want to buy a lightweight trailer maybe jayfeather or keystone zeppelin. Any thoughts on those.

Kirk

Take a close look at the hybreds as they might serve you very well. A hybred is one that has solid walls like a travel trailer, but which has beds that pull out under canvas to expand it. They don't weigh a lot and are easy to set up.

TSkinner62

new bee, take the plung you won't regret it. My wife and I had a camping experience a few years ago that didn't go well (imagine virginia coast in july in a tent. Recently she started talking about renting an RV for a two week vacation. long story short, we ended up at a dealer, bought a 36 ft class a the same day and now she can't kee me from "camping" :laugh: