Tire inflation

sngraham

We are newbies who just purchased a class C motorhome and are preparing for a long trip. How do people keep the tires on these things up to the right pressure? The front ones are easy, but the double tires in the back are a nightmare. It's really hard to reach the inflation points, and I can't even read the pressure, let alone adjust it.

And do people carry their own compressors to keep the pressure up? Are those lightweight ones any good?

Steve

C Nash

Re: Tire inflation

Welcome to the forum Steve.
You need to install valve sten extenders on the inner tires. I generally carry a small air compressor along. You need one that will pump up to around125 lb. Lowes has a small pancake stile that should work. I have burned up 2 of the small walmart that are supposed to build up 125. They will but it takes forever. Would take me about 45 min just to top off a pound or so in 6 tires.

H2H1

I have a porta cable pancake type that I carry, so for no problem. I also carry a impact wrench for changing the tire on the toad or dolly

G

I agree with nash on the extenders ,, they make life so much easyer ,, and also on the compressor ,, tires lose pressure with temp drops ,, and gain when temp rises ,, but as long as u keep them as close to the specs as u can ,, u'll be ok
Oh yea ,, welcome to the forums
:) :approve: :approve:

H2H1

Steve, I went and looked at mine and I don't have the valve extenders on rear inside wheels. I will get and install them as soon as it warms up, it was 23 degrees here this morning, and the high 38. So that will have to wait. :laugh: :laugh:

sngraham

RE: Tire inflation

Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. I will get some extenders. I find that there are several types available, some solid steel, some flexible rubber tubing and some flexible steel braid. And they come in different lengths. Which ones are preferred? And can I keep them on all the time? I am concerned about them flapping around and wearing out or abrading heavily as the RV drives down the road. What is the experience?

I'd love to take along some kind of compressor, but I think they are rather heavy and take up space, and on our RV space and weight are both rationed a bit. But the smaller compressors, people say, take forever to work or just won't handle the tire pressures. Mine are supposedly 65 psi (front) and 80 psi (rear), according to the mfr plate. Is that reliable when the whole RV is added to the chassis?

Steve

C Nash

Check to see what the cold inflation on the tires is Steve. I have the flexablestainless steel extenders and tey are about 10 inches long but thats just a guess and to cold right now to go and measure. Leave them on all the time. They should come with mounts to hold them. Never had any problems at all with mine I would discard something else and carry a compressor. You can get them that are not very heavy. proper tire pressure is a must IMO. Generally ck mine before pulling out each time. hard to find air on the road and you need to top them off when cold jmo

LEN

Have the wire braided ones on mine, on both rears and they are terminated at the hub with a solid mount. As far as a compressor I have two, one a pancake type in the MH and small 12 volt portable for the 4-runner and that one has saved the day several times. At max 80# the 12 volt ones like from Harbor Freight will be good and for the most part your just adding a couple #'s or there is a problem. If you need lots of air then a station would be best but the 12 volt will let you limp in. I was, last year, having roving problems, low tire here then there then back again. had the valves all changed and now it just a little air as temps change or time comes into play.

LEN

LEN

Just another thought while on tire pressure. I had gators or crocadiles put on my high pressure tires(I run 110#'s) as there were several bent valves when they were replaced and the tire guy's said in was because of how hard it is to hold the inflator chuck in place. These are a valve and cap in one that you just add on and keeps you from bending the valves.

LEN

Triple E

I have a Vair. Made by Black and Decker. Imported from China. Another product from an American Company who will not build their product in their own country. Model 30033 300P. Very light, compact, 12 volt dc and will do the job. I have 22.5 tires and I keep them at 100 psi. No problem with airing up the tires. Inflation time is not to bad either. I have started at 90psi and pressured up to 100 psi in less 3 minutes.
Good luck. There are a lot of compressor out there. I just thought I would throw in my 2 bits. Enjoy your travels.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=vair+30033

:8ball:

LEN

It sure looks from the picture of the handle that it does have the quick disconnect. My 12 volt is almost xactly the same without the air chucks with it. Brand name is SLIME the green stuff you put in bike and atv tires for small puncture seal. The first one I had broke and it was after warrantee(I think I went over duty cycle time and it got to hot) and they still replaced it free. The first had the standard quick diconnect but the new one doesn't. Cost at an Auto parts store was about $70. I have seem similar at harbor freight for from cheap to moderate price.

LEN

Triple E

TexasClodhopper - 1/4/2010 3:49 AM

Steve, does that compressor have a standard size air quick-connect?

Yes it does. I have added a longer hose and got the quick-connect off the shelve at NAPA.

sngraham

RE: Tire inflation

Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. I will get some extenders. I find that there are several types available, some solid steel, some flexible rubber tubing and some flexible steel braid. And they come in different lengths. Which ones are preferred? And can I keep them on all the time? I am concerned about them flapping around and wearing out or abrading heavily as the RV drives down the road. What is the experience?

I'd love to take along some kind of compressor, but I think they are rather heavy and take up space, and on our RV space and weight are both rationed a bit. But the smaller compressors, people say, take forever to work or just won't handle the tire pressures. Mine are supposedly 65 psi (front) and 80 psi (rear), according to the mfr plate. Is that reliable when the whole RV is added to the chassis?

Steve

Triple E

Steve, I have the braided extension on my valve stems. Yes you do leave them on. I have a spring clip that holds them in to place so they do not flop around. The length depends on you. I believe the length should be just long enough for you to be able to connect an air nozzle. I think mine are 4" but I would not swear to it. Also, the air compressor that I have, look above, weight is only eight pounds and will do the job with no problems at all. One of the most important tool to have in your RV is an air compressor. JMO. ;)