tire pressure safety

bandaddie

bought a slightly used class c. 4 years old, exceptionally low mileage. everything looks new. no wear seen anywhere. except the tires. the air pressure was just 30 psi on load level E (80 psi max). tread wear looked "like new". i imagined this to be the find of the century. great price.

I brought them up to proper pressure and gave them little more thought. the wheel allinement was perfect and all bearings and such were "like new". after driving 10,000 miles, two tires (one front, one rear) blew or rather, delaminated, sending large chunks of tread and steel belts everywhere. lucky, no body damage. lucky, i felt some warning vibration and slowed down to 20 before it happened, thus avoiding loss of control. i am replacing all tires. the old tires were made by general and were oem.

investigation showed the previous owner always drove at 30 psi for a more comfortable ride. i have talked to many rv'ers since and discovered this to be a common practice.

this is an extreemly dangerous thing to do. maintain your tires as though your life traveled there on. find out the recommended tire pressure and use it.

ARCHER

tire pressure safety

Yup, you go that right. Tire pressure is probably one of the most important things to maintain on an RV, Class a or C or ???
When I bought my Class A 5 years ago, it only had 5,800 miles on it and it is a 1989. The first thing I did was replace the front and outer rear tires and I consistently monitor the tire pressure before any trips. The old tires looked like new, however, being 12 years old made them suspect, so I replaced them. It is a safety thing regarding the lives of you, your family and others on the road. Those four tires costs me around $1,200.00 but that is cheap compared to what could have happened.... ;)

Grandview Trailer Sa

tire pressure safety

When you run a tire at less than what it should be, the effect on the tire is the same as overloading it. I would venture to say that is why most tires blow. I always make sure my tires are at the rated pressure and I have had very little tire problems, and I drive a LOT.

Kirk

tire pressure safety

A tire representative stated in a workshop at one of the RV shows that under inflated tires are actually more dangerous than over inflated ones. I'm no expert, but his explanation made sense. The low tire will heat up far beyond the designed limits. When that happens they do not last for long.