To buy a Class B or Class C?

cheezfri

We are looking at buying a class C, but then we thought well since we are just starting out with RVing, we should get a class B, as it would be cheaper and it can double as our everyday car.

Well the B prices are not really much lower than the C's. I guess because they have to cram more things into a smaller space.

We are 36 & 38, and our kids are 5 and 11. I'm not sure how often we would really go camping, but we would probably take more and longer trips in a C; just because the B is so small and less convenient. But the B would be handy for semi-local trips like county fairs, etc.

What do you guys think? :kiss:

Will Daniels

Hi,cheezfri; In your present situation I think a class B would be too confining. How about a small class C- like 24 feet or less. They should be a lot less than you would pay for a B and have ample room. Keep looking,there are a lot of them around.

smallcamper

Hi, we've had a Class C, currently have a B. With your kids ages I'd recommend a Class C. Remember, they are growing and the older one will be a teenager before you know it. The kids will be much happier with a Class C, they love the overhead bunk.

Our kids are grown now, and we went with a B.

But it does depend on how you will use the unit. As you said, a B would be handy for you as a second vehicle, but a C would be better for you on longer camping trips.....you have to decide for yourself how you want to use an RV and make your choice based on your own personal feelings.

hertig

Class B is usually not cheaper than class C, in fact often they are more expensive to buy. And they are a lot less pleasant to use. Their only advantages are better gas mileage, and the ability to use them as a second vehicle around town.

They are not really for camping in, although it can be done. They are for going from here to there over a period of several days. Also, they can go places where bigger units may not be practical.

One way to get a class B without spending the usual class B sticker price is to have one custom built on your van (or theirs) by Sportsmobile. Their pop-up roof overcomes some of the cramp typical of the class B, and their prices tend to be on the lower end of the price range.

SONIA

How do I get in touch with Sportsmobile? I live in Northern Calif. Thanks

hertig

www.sportsmobile.com They have a facility in Fresno, CA, as well as the ones in Huntington, IN and Austin, TX. Whatever you do, make sure you are starting from a 1 ton van if you want all the neat stuff. I was going to trick out a 3/4 ton Dodge, but they wouldn't do a generator or bigger battery bank, and suggested going without the A/C.

ejhearn

Hi - In your situation I would think a "pop-up camper" would be a good choice. They have lots of room - are easy to pull - don't cost too much - etc. After our kids married - we tried a small- used class A - then a new class C and finally bought a new (class B) 91 Roadtrek. The Roadtrek was the best choice for us - we still have it - 136 k miles - all trips. A class B is great for 2 people - but no more. A class C has more room but will use a lot of gas - will be harder to drive in city traffic - and will be very hard to sell when kids grow up. We don't use our class B for a second car - it is a little big for that and only gets about 10 mpg in city - about 15 on road. I hope this helps.
E