To Cover Or Not To Cover ?

bugoffjo

We live in New York which gets alot of snow. Last year we had 4 months with snow on the ground. I was wondering if I should cover my rv or just cover the air conditioners. How easy would it be to get the snow off the roof with a cover on. But I also want to protect the outside of it. Maybe get my husband to build a garage! If it's a cover what would be the kind to get? :question: :)

bobsals

Hi bugoffjoe, I live in Upstate NY as well and know what you are talking about. I had a not so good experience when I bought my new TT in 87. I wanted to protect it from the winter elements so I covered it with a huge blue tarp. I tied it off everywhere I could. It looked like a giant Christmas present when I got done. (Just missing the bow :) ) In the spring I felt good that I had been able to keep the rain, ice and snow off it all winter. To my frustrating surprise when I removed the tarp, was that EVERY corner and edge that the tarp had been laying against had tha paint removed. The wind moved the cover around just enough to rub the paint off :disapprove: . Maybe someone her has a better Idea. Just wanted to relay my bad experience. After that, I left it uncovered all winter and just washed and waxed it in the spring.. Happy Hunting :shy:

Bug

I had the exact same experience as Bobsals. I put a nice new tarp over my RV and then strapped and wrapped the hell out of it. Despite the thousands of pounds of compression provided by lots of bungi-cords and twine, when I unwrapped the camper at the end of the winter, there were rubb marks from the wind. Even worse, the bungi-cords themselves left rub marks where they vibrated in the wind.

Of course, I live on the high plains of Wyoming were the wind is ruthless.

I have now decided to leave the thing unwrapped - but in a shady spot. I think the sun does more damage than the moisture.

Good luck

klolsen

Hi Bugoffjo,
I live in the deep south and don't have a problem with the snow, but the 100+ heat does it's damage with expansion/contraction. You can get a metal cover to provide protection. I priced one 14' wide, 30' long and 14' 6" tall for just under $2000.00. The sides are open except for the 1 3/4" square legs which are spaced every 6. I frequently see dealers down here with display models along the road way. If you wanted you could lash your tarps to the sides to completly inclose without touching your TT..........Good Luck!!!
:approve:
Kevin

bugoffjo

Thanx for the onfo, I talked to a guy at the rv store which is where he could have sold me a cover and covers for the air. His comments were: It's not the snow you want to protect your rv from it's the sun. So I ended up buying just the wheel covers. Which he said tires is what needs to be covered.They say the sun will ruin a tire in no time. And the guy said at 200 dollars a crack, buy the covers. :)

brushpopper

I never thought of the tarp rubbing the paint off. It's a good thing I havent put the tarp I bought over my unit. I bougt a peice of heavy tarp specially made to fit me TT but have never had the chance to try it our. I forgot what the UV rating was but I was told it would be good protection against the sun. I was going to use it this winter but now I am not sure. Unless I put some kind of cloth at the corners to keep the tarp from rubbing the paint.

bobsals

Brushpopper, the tarp I used was a square tarp I bought from my local hardware store. If you bought a fitted cover made for your trailer you may not have the problem I did. I would contact the company that made your fitted cover and ask their advice on the paint issue. I am sure there are many people who do sucessfully cover their RV each year with no problems. Bob :approve:

Bug

One suggestion if you buy a custom-fitted RV cover . . . Make sure you can return it if you need to!! I tried two different RV covers that cost a lot of money. Neither fit the RV very well and they both flapped in the wind and wouldn't have lasted a single winter. Of course, you can buy the custom cover and just strap it down as if it were a tarp - but that defeats the purpose of buying the custom cover. On the other hand, some of the custom covers are made of breathable fabric that prevents trapping moisture.