Toad selection

Cruzincat

REMCO's site has a feature that you plug in information about your vehicle that tells you if and how you can tow it. Is there a similar program that you can plug in your requirements and it can suggest what vehicle(s) would suit your needs? Clue: Wife cannot(will not try to) drive a manual transmission.

I've already determined the vehicles we have now cannot be towed unless we trailer them.

H2H1

REMCO IS IN BUSINESS to sell you what is needed to tow your vehicle. I would check with the owner manual to see if it is towable.

C Nash

Motorhome magazine used to offer free info on vehicles that can be towed 4 down but now charge for it. What kind of vehicle do you have now? You may be able to add something to it to make it towable. Remco would be able to tell you if there is.

Cruzincat

We have two. 2006 Hyundai Tucson V6 4WD, and a 2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD, both automatic. I'd tow the Tucson if we could, but not the Charger, even if we could.

vanole

Cruzincat,

I have a 2013 Dingy towing guide not sure what mullet wrapper I got it in )FMCA or Motorhome Magizine) would be happy to send it to you if you want it. If not if you give me a price point I will list vehicles that are in the guide.

Jeff

LEN

If I were you I would go my route I did and I would do it again. Trailer the toad and you can change toads at will. For the opera you can have the Charger and for the off road trip the 4x4. It is a bit more expensive to have the trailer but I can backup and have. And with the tilt trailer loading and unloading is a breeze.

LEN

Cruzincat

What brand/type of trailer would be a good starting point? Would a trailer be more expensive than a well used car that can be towed easily?

LEN

This is near what I have by this company. Mine is a little shorter and does not have the flat non-tilt area in the front. Now I had wished I would have this trailer as I could also carry a quad or side by side.
It has brakes and is EZ to use. The wife has used it by her self, just for practice, just in case and she is really not adept at these things.
Now I am on the west coast and you on the East but there will be like companies you way. And I might look at aluminum for a little less tow load but maybe a bit more $$.

http://www.olympictrailer.com/listing-detail.php?EQUIPMENT-HAULER-31

LEN

Cruzincat

The MH we are getting has a tow limit of 5,000 lbs. The Tucson weighs in at just under 3,700 lbs(dry?). That doesn't leave much room for the weight of the trailer capable of carrying that much weight. I wouldn't want to use anything with only one axle, and the aluminum trailers appear to have a lower capacity. It think I saw one listed at 800lbs on that site. I may be wrong and that was tongue weight.

H2H1

If I was in your shoes, and have been. I would get me a tow dolly and pull the Tucson, no mileage would be put on it. I did that for years, then found Saturn already set up for towing and bought it and that is what we are using now. It is a 98 year model but I am not trying to impress anyone, I am who I am and will admit my pocket aren't that deep. anyway good luck and look around a deal may come your way.

Cruzincat

My pockets aren't deep either. Looking at the classifieds, there are a lot of vehicles available that could be used, but now I am wondering, How much will it cost, in addition, to outfit the car to be a toad? Lookin at Remco's site, it looks like I would be spending more on the baseplate, tow bar, braking system, safety cable, and more, than I would be spending to buy a used car just for that purpose(< $3,000).

Is there a way to search for cars that other people have decked out for use as a toad? Might save a bit that way.

H2H1

I would look into EBAY and Craig list in your area for used RV by owners. If they are selling their RV maybe the toad is for sell also. But over all a dolly would cheaper, and you don't have to buy a new one. Just look around it will come to u

Cruzincat

I think the best bet, if possible, is to find a trailer the Tucson can go on, that weighs less than 1200lbs. When at a destination I can off load the Tucson, connect the trailer to the Tucson and move it to a parking location if necessary (if there is no room where the MH sits).

H2H1

If the Tucson is front wheel drive it can be towed on a dolly. drive it up on the ramps secure the wheels, leave in part and take off. I have towed a Honda Accord that way from Georgia to Rapid City SD. Just remember to NOT APPLY THE PARKING BRAKES

Cruzincat

It's FWD, 4WD optional. Not sure, but the rear axle is probably still turning gears when it free wheels. Could be an issue.

H2H1

I did not know it had a rear axle, was thinking it was a front wheel drive only. So that puts a kink in the equation. What does the owner manual say about towing all wheels down or even if it can be towed. Better check with the manufacturer to be safe than sorry later down the road.