Toads

Bounder Boy

I have found Blue Ox and other tow bars on craigslist all day long. What else should I be concerned about? Are the plates to hook to the toad hard to get and/or expensive. Haven't found any. What about towing an AWD, all wheel drive ??

H2H1

Re: Toads

I have a Saturn that I tow all wheels down. The bracket/ plates must be put on correctly are you could have a problem later on. I would pay to have them installed and have them to run the stop and running lights also.But this is my OP, other will have theirs. Just do it so it is safe for you and your family as well as for us others on the road. :laugh: :laugh:

JimE

RE: Toads

I tow a Saturn as well and installed the plates and wiring myself. While I will never do it again it is doable if you have basic skills and it is an AWD Saturn Vue. I did it during August in Texas and had to have my head examined afterwards!!

akjimny

John, the Motorhome magazine web site has a downloadable pdf booklet listing most all the cars, trucks and suv's and whether they can be towed or not. I have found it to be very useful. The other place to look is in the owner's manual of the vehicle. It should have a section on towing. :) :)

Bounder Boy

Thanks folks for the info. What is this I hear off and on about pulling fuses when towing? Does this also disconnect the odometer? I have heard some say they have "never put a mile on the toad" when towing. True or myth?

JimE

RE: Toads

On my Saturn which actually has a Honda drivetrain you go through a specific sequence before towing with the final step being the removal of the main ignition fuse under the hood. The odometer does not increment while this fuse is pulled.

H2H1

on my Saturn, which is older than most, all I do is shift to neutral and put the key in ACC and off I go. BTW it does add mileage :( :(