toads!!

larry ryan

Hi, i tow a 95 jeep grand cherokee behind my 32' mallard a class, i found getting info for towing various cars hard to get but the bottom line as i understand it is if you've got a manual transfer case then it can be towed, pop the transfetr case in neutral, put the gear shift in park and try pushin' it by hand to make sure, also contact the manufacturer and quiz his tech guy's, see how well they know their product, he he! When i hooked up i called chrysler and they didn't know squat however my mechanic did!. Also when i put together my set-up i was going for the blue max but almost died when i got the price to do it so being a handy sort of a guy{and with my wifes son being a master welder}i did it myself and saved a bundle!! Icontacted REESE HITCHES and told thrir tech guy's what i was trying to do and they sold me their heavyduty foldin tow bar which has worked perfectly for three seasons now, could'nt be happier, we built the hitch, mounitng ass.{reese provided the connecters with the tow bar} and with some steel, fasteners and black paint we had a proffesional lookin' job! And thanks to the way jeep did the front clip you can't even tell it hooks up to the rv! I had the local car sterio shop do the wiring and badda bing we had lift off!! total pirice fer the whole shebang was $365.00 can. including the beer {two cases}a far cry from the 3 grand the blue ox woul have sent me back! Now the only down side is that it doesn't fold on the bumper but the wifie made me a big duffel bag { made from the old cusion cover from our old c-class} and to hook up takes me under 3 minutes and i'm good to go!! Hope this helps and merry christmas to you and yours!!

Gary B

toads!!

Hi Larry, you betcha, I made my own base plates also and got a nice two part tow bar that had been locally fabricated for the sum of $15.00 with the steel welding rods bolts cable for saftey cables a new ball coupler, electrical wiring ofr the lights 2 cans of spray paint and three tail light assemblies(Ilike 3r stop lights) the toal came to less then $90.00. Happy Holidays to all :approve:
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

sepisllib

toads!!

Interestingly enough - when you go to the list of motorhome for towable cars - the Honda auto is not listed. Wonder why?

Bill & Judy

sepisllib

toads!!

Going to have to do some digging now - had an offer for a CRV - 2003 that I am having trouble refusing. Seems the owner bought new and now is in payment troubles and wants to unload it badly.

From what I have learned - this unit is towable.

Input from anyone who is or has towed this vehicle would be appreciated.

Bill & Judy

Kirk

toads!!

quote:From what I have learned - this unit is towable.

That is correct. The CR-V is one of the most popular of toads and for good reason. They have been towable since their introduction and they even have a scetion in the owner's manual that is titled, "Towing Your CR-V Behind a Motorhome." It tells exactly what must be done. We have friends who just traded for a new CR-V to replace the previous one. It had 159K on it and another 50K that it was towed, but or course was not on the odometer. We have a 2001 that we now have 70K on and it has been towed another 20 - 25K that isn't on the odometer. Neither of us have had one bit of trouble. To date our only repair was a bent rock guard for one disk brake that had bent to where it touched and made a noise. It cost a whole $16 to get it repaired and they showed me how to do it if this should ever happen again. We take ours off road to some fairly interesting places and we just love it. You won't go wrong with a CR-V.

turnipbwc

toads!!

Kirk,
What are you pulling your CR-V with ? You must be talking about hauling it on a trailer if you are not puting any miles on it while towing it.
I never towed a car yet but thinking about it. I was thinking along the lines of a older stick shift VW. I am looking for the lightest auto I can find. The toyato Echo is only 2,035 pounds and I'm thinking an older VW should be lighter than that. What are your thoughts on that ?
turnip

C Nash

toads!!

Hi turnip,
I tow a 2002 tracker 4 down and the odometer does not registar the miles while towing. With electronics miles will not show with key off. Seems like I have seen that the echo cannot be towed 4 down w/o modifacation. The tracker has been an excellent toad for us. 4 wheel drive automatic 4 door. Emergency brake on Place the trans in park, transfer case in neutral, key in off position, not removed, hook up tow bar and go after releasing the emergency brake. Have towed Tracker around 15000 miles which included a trip to Alaska.

turnipbwc

toads!!

Chelse,
How much does the Tracker weigh and what are you pulling it with ?
I always thought the miles registered wether the key was on or off. Guess I learned something. Thanks............
Turnip

C Nash

toads!!

Turnp,
Don't have the tracker specs before me right now but seems like it was around 2700 lbs. Memory has kind of left me but, like I tell the kids I have earned the right to forget. Pulling with a 2002 Holiday rambler Vacationer 33 ft V10 Ford and can't tell it's back there. Generally get between 8 and 10 mpg Seldom drive over 60.

FirstSgt111

toads!!

REMCO is also a great source for towability. I was purchasing an 04 SSR after our 01 Jeep Wrangler went through it's second trany. Long story, due to a rearending by a Dodge dually. Anyway, I called REMCO, they told me what had to be done and that they had the base plate and drive shaft disconnect system or the SSR. They also told me the SSR is on an Avalanch Chassis. My salesman didn't know that. Anyway, REMCO sealed the deal and we now have a bright red Toad, behind our 40' quad.

janicenlarry

toads!!

Larry I question towing that heavy Cherokee behind the 32' Mallard. Did you check out the permissable weight? :question: