toilet removal

rddog8691

I am interested in installing a new laminate floor in my bath just wondering how difficult it is to pull out the toilet to put the floor down.

ARCHER

Re: toilet removal

I replaced my toliet last Dec in my Class A and it was very, very easy to remove the old one. Turn the water off to the toliet, looses the two bolts (nornally two) holding it down and then just pull it up. There should be a seal/donut around the base that may come up but you should replace it anyway when your ready to put the toilet back down. Hardest part I had was making sure I got the bolts/nuts tightened real good (not overtight) because they were a little bit of pain to actually reach real good. Good luck ;)

Poppa

The only thing I can remember is the it takes a long extension and ratchet to get the bolt ou thats in the top l;eft hand side of most toilets. Other than that turn on the AC and get after it. :cool:

rddog8691

do you guys think that if i add height to the floor the toilet wont seal good on top of the donut should i double up the donut and thanks for the quick response i am goimg to tackle the project first thing in the morning

ARCHER

I can't remember exactly, but I think, there has to be a specific max height between donut/seal and top of drain hole, so that it seats properly. No fudge factor like a hose toilet where you use the yellow stickum that you can add extra too. I don't think you can add an extra donut, but not sure. You might want to just passively ask at an RV service shop and see what they say. You sure don't want it loose that is for sure. POPPA is right with the long ratchet through the hole on the top but I did it the harder way and tried to put my fat little fingers in from the sides to wrench the nuts down snug......wasn't exactly the smartest thing I've ever done, but I got it done. BTW, while your working on new floor and after you have removed the old toilet, put a rag down the hole to keep stuff from coming back up, like smell, or things going down there that shouldn't etc. (even though your not using it at that time) ;)

Poppa

Laminite floooring by it self is only 7/32 of an inch thick. The foam rubber donut should be able to make up for the little difference. Archer trid to get in the back and loosen those D--- bolts but my fat butt couldn't get back there :laugh:

Kali_Mist

rddog8691 - 8/9/2007 4:35 PM

do you guys think that if i add height to the floor the toilet wont seal good on top of the donut should i double up the donut and thanks for the quick response i am goimg to tackle the project first thing in the morning

You want to add a toilet riser.

hamdave

Instead of laminate in the bathroom, we use vinyl in that area. Its a lot thinner, and therefore no issues with the 'foam ring'. Vinyl is better if it gets wet also. Something to consider..