Tornados Anyone?

DL Rupper

Spent another night in my straw house (RV) under a Tornado watch. These are the times that make full-timing exciting.

One Spring night in Chanute, KS, we had tornados 15/20 miles away North and South of our RV. The big problem is finding a shelter nearby. In Chanute there wasn't any shelter. Stayed inside while the hail pounded down. Fun, fun fun. :eek: ;)

TexasClodhopper

Re: Tornados Anyone?

DL, we had a similar experience in Fredericksburg, Texas. Large and rolling thunderstorms all day long all around us. We managed to dodge all of those and did our siteseeing, but that night the TV was blazing out all of the warnings. Lots of wind blowing around as we did our laundry. People were figuring out where they would go when they left there RVs. They all agreed that the laundry room / bathhouse would be the safest.

I watched the weather, but we didn't leave the MH. Almost regreted it, too. It was just REAL noisy with the hail hitting the fiberglass roof! It turned out there were two tornados around us, but nothing came through the town.

I had decided to leave the MH if we had lost power.

H2H1

That must have be scary. my DW was in the one that came through in 1953 in Col. GA. It took off the roof of there home and ever since then she is petrified of bad weather. when a storm blows up she is pacing the floor gathering up her most valuable an storing them in a safe place. So I know we would be in for very long night if we was ever caught out in the MH during a sever storm and running for cover if a tornado was sited are a warning was given.

DL Rupper

We have had a few other interesting times in bad weather:
1. We were staying on base at Ellsworth AFB Fam Camp and about 9 PM at night the base security came by and told us radar had spotted a wall cloud approaching the Base and had all of us go to the security bldg. No tornado.
2. This one is for Texas Clodhopper. We were camped on a Corp of Engineers campground outside Dallas, Texas in DEC and the weather got so bad that we were having 50/60 mile an hour winds. I have never in my life been in an RV rocking like that. We were on the edge of a lake and all night we thought we were going to blow over and land in the lake. Wifey can't swim. Dallas area is not a good place to camp in the winter. COLD. (sorry about the Texas bad mouth, Tex)
3. Twice, once in Ohio and once in Illinois we have had to go to cement restrooms in RV parks due to tornados that were touching down within 5/10 miles of us.
We carry an NOAA emergency alert radio with us. That is really fun to have it go off in the middle of the night. No other sound like it. :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

No offence taken, DL. Draw a line from Laredo through Nacogdoches. Anything north of that line is going to be really bad weather in winter.

utmtman

You sound like you are in the Louisiana area DL. I am so tired of the rain here and the tornado warning I am leaving friday and heading west.

DL Rupper

Hey Lee, we are in the Panhandle of Florida and it's been cold and rainy here. We like cooler weather, but this has been too cold. Haven't been to Florida since 2001 so we thought we would give it another try. Going to Disney World this month to meet our son and his family. I'm sure it will be in the 80/90's by then. Every time we have tried to go to Disney World it has been too hot. Wifey's internal thermostat is set for 65/75 degrees. If it get hotter she has a really hard time. She can take the dry heat out West much better.

G

I have set thru to 2 tornados ,, one when i was living in NM ,, yes they get them too ,, the second was here in TN ,, got pretty close to the house but never touched down around me ,, did touch down about 3 miles down the road..
This last May i did sit thru a tropical storm in the MH ,, it came ashore right where we were staying ,, and at high tide ,, lost power and everything ,, but used the genset ,,, the tides were breaking over the dunes and into the campground ,, i gotta say the MH was rocking ,, i was waiting any minute to be on our side ,, but the next day clear weather ,, and toys , tables , awnings and tents everywhere ,, one couple near us rode it out in the car ,, they were camping in a tent ,, and hate to say it ,, but it was destroyed ,,,,
:)

utmtman

I have had two tornado warnings since we have been here in Louisiana and one of them did touch down north of us and did a damn damn to a small town.
We have also had several kinda follow us on trips across the nation, one in kansas, one in oklahoma and one in missouri. They hit either behind us or close to where we were camping but not close enough to cause us any problems.

DL Rupper

How did everyone fare last night with 68 tornados touching down? We are under a tornado watch this morning until 11 AM. :eek: Hope the bad wolf doesn't huff and puff too hard. :eek:

utmtman

Dont know if you saw the news but 46 dead from last nights tornados. Hit Mississippi, Tenn and one other state so I hear.

utmtman

Just saw news and they say 50 dead and 150 injured. Sadly a senoir center was one of the place leveled. All seniors are dead or injured.

G

actually utmtman ,, they got all the senoirs out before it got hit ,, but man all of the areas around nashville and memphis got hit hard ,, even a dorm in union collage got wrecked ,, but all survived ,, i read in the local new today ,, where they found a 11 month old child 40ft form his residence ,, and it perfect shape ,, hungry and scared but ,, very well off ,, the recuers took him to the grandmother ,, who lost everything ,, house and all...
But the big storms hit us this morning ,, lost aprt of the roof off my barn ,, and several MH were blown over traveling in the Smokies :disapprove: :disapprove:

utmtman

They were showing the damages and interviewing survivers on the today show this morning. glad to hear all those seniors survived. These news people need to get the story straight before they report damn em.

TexasClodhopper

Accuracy does not matter, Lee, just get it on the air and make it more sensational than the real thing. The only ones that are going to complain about accuracy are too busy cleaning up! :angry:

H2H1

all new reporter try to get their story on the air first, they care about the survivors but the death toll is more exciting to air on TV. It seem we get more concerned with death the survivors why I don't know

C Nash

Now Tex you done gone and done it. Here we sit in Fredricksburg and they are calling for thunderstorms tomorrow. Wife will probably have me leaving before tomorrow now. Worried about the kids at home when all the storms were going thru the other day but called them and they said only had high winds and no local damage. Was a very bad day for lots of folks and our prayers are with them.
Lee and Fran come on this way. The weather has been great so far. Just a little cool.