Towable Weight Within Limits?

Hugh

I've got a 2000 GMC P/U with the 5300 engine and a 3.42 rear end. Glove compartment book says it will tow 7,000 lb. I'm looking at a Jayco Feather 29N. It has a dry weight of 5190 lb. and GVWR of 6500 and exterior lenght is 30 ft.. There is no way I'll be at the 6500 lb weight when I tow,,,it'll be kept at approx. 6000 lb. 'll use the weight distribution hitch and sway bars. I live in Florida but would like to tow to Maine in September and October. I'm not new to RVing but have been in diesel pushers for a while and need imput on going back to towing. How will it tow on flat ground and how about in the NE mountains? On downhills will 6000 lb push the truck within reason? What say the towing experts.

DL Rupper

Re: Towable Weight Within Limits?

Hey Hugh, welcome to the forum. I think you will definately have trouble in the hills/mountains. Even on the flats you will be hard pressed to maintain speed. For one thing your gearing is too high to adequately (key word adequately) tow that heavy of a load. You also need to consider the weight of passengers, yourself and any gear you carry in your vehicle Is your tranmission an automatic? If it is an auto trans you can expect transmission heat problems generated from the transmission shifting/hunting gears frequently to maintain speed unless you have some type of after market or factory installed transmission cooler/torque lock system (can't think of the correct nomenclature for it).

Hugh

RE: Towable Weight Within Limits?

Oops! I should have added that the truck has a automatic transmission and the towing option,-- tranny cooler, heavy suspension. I know that the hills might be a problem but with driver passenger and full tank of fuel and 500 lb of gear in trailer, I'll be under aprrox 1,000 lb. under trailer GVWR of 6500. Does the towing package and automatic make a difference. Thanks for the experienced advised.

DL Rupper

Yes the towing package and tranny cooler definitely make a big difference as far as your truck transmission holding up under the added load and stress and maximizing your suspension and hitch capabilities. However, your high ratio rear end gears and a V-8 that doesn't provide much in the line of torque, somewhat limit your capabilities. Most manufactures stretch their trucks towing capability when they rate the towing weight capacity. I believe they tend to rate them under ideal conditions. No passengers, no head winds and on a flat surface. When you get out in the real world, you may experience some difficulties, i.e. slower going on the hills, poor gas mileage, inability to pass other vehicles etc. I think you have a good approach limiting your loaded weight to somewhere around 5,000 to 6,000 lbs max. That will give you a safety margin for better towing capabilities. :) Good luck and happy camping..

hertig

If possible, you should install a transmission temperature guage. It will let you know of transmission problems before they become permanent (fluid which lasts for 20K miles at normal temperature will break down in 2 miles if it gets hot enough).

My first truck was rated at 7000 pounds towing, and it took one look at a 5500 pound dry weight trailer and melted into a puddle on the ground (not really, but towing the trailer home was not fun). I immediately went out and got a real truck to tow with. To bad I didn't know enough to get a real engine (diesel) with it :)