Towing: 4 Down or 2 Up???

Old Forum Post

[Gary B] Hi Klimo, I tow 4 dowm and like it. I was discussing this with a friend of mine and came to the conclusion that its 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. With a dolly you can can vehicles with out changing the dolly, you can probaly find a good used dolly with brakes and lights for $1000.00 or less. The down side of the dolly is it takes a little longer to load,& secure the vehicle for travel, and storage of the dolly can sometimes be a pain. The tow bar (4 down)system is easier, quicker to hook up, and of course storing the bar when you get to destination is no problem. The down side is if you change vehicles you will problay be buying a new base plate, and for your vehicle you will need an axle disconnect, or a tranny lube pump, a braking system (I recomend one) and tail lite brake lite wiring. A tow bar & base plate will run from $300 to $700 an axle disconnect / lube pump approx anothe $700, and a brake system about $700.00 plus $50 to $100.00 for tail/brake lites. Good luck GB

Old Forum Post

[Gordo] I prefer 4 down as it lightens the load (without dolly weight) plus many of the CG&#039s I have been in simply have little if any room to store a dolly. With respect to your other reply, the Neon with manual trans needs no alterations other than the base plate, no axel disconnect etc and no tranny lube. Motor Home Mag Jan. issue, lists the Neon as completely towable with no changes needed. The auto trans is not towable according to Chrysler.My new towbar, baseplate and installation ran about $1100.00, all new equipment.