Towing a 4 wheel drive mid PU

Poppa

If I am not mistaken you throw the transfer case in neutral and gome for it. Not positive

Gary B

HI Carter, check with Chevy, is this a manual or automatic? I think most S-10's even the manul tranny require a driveshaft disconnect. Check with Remco that can tell you, but I know several folks that have had to go the driveshaft disconnect route.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:
www.remcotowing.com

Jerry Bowers

I agree with the answer check with Remco. 1-800-869-2277 X235 for Jim
I was told the S10 required a drive shaft disconnect so I bought a 03 Ranger straight drive that only requires you to put in neutral and turn the key to unlock the steering. Have not tried it yet as I have to buy and install the tow brackets to truck. Hate the straight drive, but there is give and take in everthing.
Jerry

rafternw

If it is a manual 2WD you can tow it in Neutral. If it is a manual 4WD you can tow it with the Transfer Case in Neutral. Manual shift Transfer Cases have a Neutral position for the shifter. If it is an automatic transmission 2WD you will have to disconnect the driveshaft. If it is an automatic trans 4WD with a manual transfer case you can tow it with the transfer case in neutral. If it is an automatic trans with an electric or electronic shift transfer case you will have to disconnect the driveshaft except for newer models that have a way to get the transfer case into neutral with the transfer case control switch.

The issue here is that the auto trans needs oil circulating in it to prevent damage when it is turning. This is normally supplied by the pump in the trans that is powered by the engine. If the engine is not running then the pump does not work. Therefore it is necessary to prevent the trans from turning when the vehicle is towed.

If this is too confusing you can contact me directly.

Andy Hardwick - former Chevy Technician.
andy@caspacappraisal.com