Towing a car

Donaldo

I'm planning on joining the "not quite retired, almost a gypsy" crowd fairly soon, and am planning on buying a 35-38 foot Class A. I'd like to do some extensive travelling, and would like to tow a car with me. I rented a 30' Class A (V-10 Ford)last summer and the Rental Guy told me that towing a car would sap 2-3 miles per gallon, and was nothing but a pain. I can imagine that backing up would be a problem, but what are the other drawbacks, if any?

elkhartjim

RE: Towing a car

I have a 38ft DP, 330 HP cummins and pull a 2007 Toyota Avalon. I can't really tell any significate change in fuel mileage when pulling my toad. I haven't been thru the mountains yet...that could make a big difference. And you're right...no backing with toad attached for me.

vanole

Re: Towing a car

elkhartjim,

Are you using a REMCO set-up pulling the Avalon? Or are you towing on a dolly? If using a REMCO any pros and cons?

V/R
Jeff

elkhartjim

Hey Jeff...I'm using a tow dolly and I know thats almost an evil word on this forum but I've had great success. I can hook up as fast as my friend by the time he goes thru all the "stuff" he has to do with his toad. I drive on, secure the straps, install safety chains..go. So far no storage problems at cg's
Jim

H2H1

hey Jim I also use a dolly for my toad,no problem so for. I really haven't notice ant different in my gas mileage. but all this is in conjunction with your speed. more speed more gas /fuel

C Nash

I tow a 2002 Tracker 4 down which is light and can not tell the difference in MPG but I travel at 50, 55 mph. MH 2002 HR Vacationer V10 Ford. 8 to 10 MPG.

elkhartjim

C Nash - 2/27/2008 10:21 PM

I tow a 2002 Tracker 4 down which is light and can not tell the difference in MPG but I travel at 50, 55 mph. MH 2002 HR Vacationer V10 Ford. 8 to 10 MPG.

See above message please

C Nash

Hey Jim, why drive any faster. I don't have to be anywhere. I was thinking about slowing down some more. :laugh: You'll just gonna have to slow down and stay behind me or pass. I'll watch for you and pull over. I leave the racing for the strip where I'll take you on. :bleh:

vanole

Elkhartjim,

Thanks for the info. Wife is really set on and Avalon. Have been able to tow the Honda A4D without any aftermarket solution. Do you have any recommendations on tow dolly's. This past summer when we travelled I made a point to check to see if storage would be a problem for a dolly and came to the conclusion it would not if I ever needed to go that route.

V/R
Jeff

tallyo

I used a tow dolly for four(4) years and didn't know what a pain it was until I went to 4 down.
Traveling with or without a toad doesn't do much for mileage. The biggest mileage differences come from having a good tail wind and keeping the old foot off the accelerator.
And make sure you are traveling easterly when going through Texas...

H2H1

like I said before I use a tow master dolly for my Honda Accord we have not had any problem while towing or at the CG we have stayed in. I know an A4D would be better but I not complaining. I like Nash don't drive that fast, but I have a Chevy 8.1 :bleh: vs his V10 :laugh: . but your speed is what important when trying to save a little gas/fuel. going slow that why we RV so we can take in as much as we can. happy trails

utmtman

I too use a tow dolly, towing a 92 toyota camry. Have a pickup in storage that has the remco driveline pull but again I also tow it with the tow dolly.

elkhartjim

Wow Lee and Fran...the ability to tow 4 down and you don't! Sometimes I think the naysayers of "only four wheel down" are the companies selling $2000 worth of stuff so you can.

onthecoach

I've been towing my 1998 Hnda Accord V6 all-four-down for the entire 10 years I've had it!!! I can get that puppy hooked up in about 60" (by myself!) and hit the road!!! I have only noticed a difference in mph when DH drives the coach! When I drive we get anywhere from 9-11 mph (300Cat Turbo Diesel!)!!! When DH drives it drops down to 7 -7.5mpg! Of course, I drive about 55-60 mph and he has it up to 70-75 mph!!!

Fuel lprices being what they are now -- especally diesel being so artifically high -- I think he will have to slow down!!! ;)

C Nash

trans in park, 4wheel in neutral, emergency bk off, key in unlock, relay plug for ready brake pluged into cig lighter, about 5 min taking time and rechecking and ready to go. 150 dollars for tow bar,safety cables,wiring (E-Bay) 250 for ready brake w breakaway and indicator light on MHdash (new works great) all installed myself.