Towing a new trailer

jimridder

Maybe I'm getting the cart before the horse. I currently have a 97' Chev C2500 heavy duty pick-up with a 5.7 liter engine and a 3.73 rear axle and tow a 28' 5th wheel weighing in at 6,000 lbs and have no problems at all. I am looking at and considering the purchase of a new 32 ft. 5th wheel with a dry weight of 9100 lbs. I know I would be over the towing limit of my truck, but do you believe I could get by until next year when I could afford to buy a new truck or should I get the new truck this year and wait on the trailer until next year? I really would like to enjoy the new trailer now. Towing would be mostly in the midwest and an ocasional trip to Florida from Chicago.

Jim Ridder

Gary B

Towing a new trailer

Hi Jim, yes you could get by for a year, keep in mind your fuel milage will be 3 to 6 mpg, but I knew a fellow from Mich. that towed a 32' Terry high profile with a Chev 350 3/4 ton and thats the milage he said he got, he had over 100,000 miles on his truck towing from Mi. to Florida or to Az. :) :approve:

jimridder

Towing a new trailer

Gary,
Thanks for the info I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge and purchase the new trailer. It's a 2003 Alumascape 30sks. Before I pick up the trailer I am going to change the rear axle ratio in my truck from the 3.73 to a 4.10. I found a dealer that will do the work for $700.00 and I think this will help. Then next year I will start looking for a 1 ton diesel.

Jim Ridder

Gary B

Towing a new trailer

Hi Jim think you'll the rear end ratio change to make a big difference for the good. Sound like a nice trailer good luck and let us know what happens. :) :bleh: :approve: