towing ford f-150

escaperman

i am interested to know if i can tow a 2002 ford f-150, 6 cyl, 5 speed manual trans, 4 wheels down, behind my motorhome, without modification. does anyone have any info on towing this vehicle?..escaperman

hertig

towing ford f-150

This is actually 2 questions. First of all you need to insure that it will not cause you to exceed the GCVW (maximum weight of motorhome and trailer) or Gross vehicle weight or Gross Rear Axel weight of the motorhome. In order to help you with this, we'll need to know information about the motorhome.

The second question is can the truck be towed without damage. It is my understanding that pretty much any vehicle with manual transmission can be towed without danger, but you'd want to check that your truck is not one of the exceptions. A follow on question is whether the odometer of the truck will advance while it is being towed.

Note that there are a few modifications you will probably want to consider. One is the installation of a tow bar, the best way to attach a 'toad' to your RV. And of course, the wiring so that the truck lights are controlled from the motorhome. Another is the installation of an auxillary braking system, so that the truck brakes help stop this caravan. And finally, some sort of shield to protect the front of the truck from the crap thrown up by the RV wheels.

escaperman

towing ford f-150

thanks for the info. i have plenty of capacity. my question centered around the truck itself. ford does not list it with their towables (dingys). i was told first by remco that i would need a drive shaft disconnect. second call to them (different techy) disclosed the truck was fully towable, for wheels down. i was wondering if anyone had any actual experience with the vehicle. it has a mazda transmission. i am set up with a blue ox tow plate..escaperman

C Nash

towing ford f-150

Escaperman, can't believe that you got two different answers from Remco. They are usually up on all the latest. I was of the opinion thatthe straight shift could not be towed 4 down without modifications like the dr/shaft disconnect. The problem with straight shift trans is that the main shafe, which turns all time is not sumerged in trans fluid/oil. On some of our older vehicles we added an elbo to the filler so more oil could be put in and it worked. This raised the level enough so the teeth on the m/shaft slung the oil. All this is just an opinion and would not advise doing it. Have you tried calling Fords customer service and asking one of their engineers? Owners manuel should also give thei info. Keep us posted

escaperman

towing ford f-150

c nash, one of the first places i called was ford's customer service. they suggested i call my local dealer who, after a coffee cup consult, told me i would need a tow dolly. i questioned ford's customer service at length who told me they did not have access to the in-house engineering staff. they told me that my local dealer however did have access. owners manuel only describes emergency towing. this seems like a simple question, however there seems to be no simple answer. i think i'll give it a try and stop often and run it through the gears..escaperman