Towing SUV

Dave Smith

I have a Ford F350 4x4 with a 9.5' camper. I'd like to get a small or midsize SUV to tow along behind so I don't have to unload the camper to get around. I'm new to this, and don't know what the problems of towing vehicles might be. Any suggestions?

hertig

Towing SUV

The first thing is to find out how much you can tow. Take your truck, with camper, loaded as you would for most trips, and get it weighed, both rear axel only and total weight.

Compare these weights to the GVWR and GRAR (listed on the drivers door of the truck) and make sure you are under both of these limits by at least a few hundred pounds. Find the GCVW rating for your truck, perhaps in the manual or from the dealer. Subtract your total truck weight from the GCVW to find out how much weight you can tow.

Once you find a vehicle which is below your maximum towing weight, find out if it has problems being towed. Most common is transmission damage due to movement without fluid being pumped. If you find the 'perfect' vehicle which does NOT tow cleanly, you can go with some sort of trailer or dolly; just remember that trailers/dollys count against your towing weight too.

Generally, you will want to consider an auxillary brake system for your towed vehicle, so the vehicle brakes assist your tow vehicle in stopping. Unless you are going with a full trailer, of course, and then hopefully the trailer has brakes.

Dave Smith

Towing SUV

Thanks hertig. Is there an internet site where I can find out if certain vehicles can be towed without damage to the transmission?

Gary B

Towing SUV

HI Dave, yes you can tow a small SUV or truck or car, I've towed an enclosed trailer with my F-350 & a slidein camper many many miles, we have an extended hitch set up for our Lance 10' 9" camper, heres a site to check out what can be towed www.motorhomemagazine.com they have a list os 2001 2002 & 2003 vehicles. Good luck & welcome to the forum, and happy campin :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:
PS I've seen lots of Jeeps & Geo Trackers being towed

Dave Smith

Towing SUV

Thanks Gary. I didn't think the truck with the turbo deisel would have any trouble towing a midsize or small suv, plus carrying the camper. I appreciate the link to motorhome magazine too. That'll make it handy to check on any vehicles that might have special requirements for being towed. I appreciate the advice.

:cool:

C Nash

Towing SUV

Dave, we tow a 2002 chev tracker 4 door automatic 4x4 that weighs in under 3000 lbs. All I have to do is transfer case in neutral, trans in park, release emergency brake, key in ign leaves steering unlocked and go. Do have to run engine about every 200 miles for a couple of minutes but this has not been a problem for me. Can't even tell its behind the MH, tracks great and so far no unusally tire wear. Easy to get in and out. I have the four cyl but, would probably go for the 6 if I had it to do over although the four handled the Smokies and gears down the mountains great. Handles off road good but, might tend to be a little top heavy.

Dave Smith

Towing SUV

Thanks Chelse. And everyone who's responded. I really appreciate the feedback! I'm looking to tow an older vehicle...brobably a 91 explorer or even earlier jeeg/toyota fj40 type of vefichle. I'll check the link that Gatry gave me for the towing info. Hey.....but this is great! I know I'll have more questions!