Towing trailer with 302 V8 in coachman class B

orchiddj

Does anyone have any experience with the 302 V8 engine in a class b and towing a trailer.. Most of the B,s we have looked at have engines in the 350 range. We found a real nice 1991 coachman, 44,000 K. My concern is I plan on doing some towing while traveling to orchid shows (mostly in flat Florida) I will be towing an enclosed trailer and could be in the 2500 – 3000 pound range. I am worried I may be underpowered.

Any way I can find out what that coach would be rated for towing. I tried searching the net but could not find any info.

turnipbwc

If you got a book with your Coachman it will tell you in it. I have a Class B Roadtrek that has a 318 and I would not tow a trailer behind it. I think towing a trailer behind a Class B that old you would be asking for trouble, flat land or no flat land. I had a 1994 Coachman it is was nothing but trouble. I traded it within a month of owning it. I hope you have better luck with the one you bought.
Turnip42

janicenlarry

You are asking for trouble if you tow that trailer. Brakes of the RV are not equipped to handle it, you will cause excess loads on tranny and rear axle and it will result in premature failure. If you ever have any accident with that setup, your insurance may not cover you and in the event of a law suit, you would be in trouble for using a Class B to haul that load. :(

Poppa

Though a 302 is a good engine :laugh: , it is doing just what it was made for moving your class B down the road :cool: . I believe you can expect nothing but heart ache and repair bills :( . The Transmission isn't made for towing and the trailer will probably push you somewhere you don't want to go :eek: .

turnipbwc

Looks like we all agree not to tow a trailer behind a Class B.
turnip42

"To improve the golden moment of opportunity, and catch the good
that is within our reach, is the great art of life."