Towing with a 99 Suburban questions

hillslider

Well...the wife and i want to buy a travel trailer. We found one that we really like. It is a Springdale 292BHLS. It has a dry weight of 5960 and hitch weight of 770. Dealer sates my 99 Chev Surburban would handle it like a dream. I doubt that.....but I sure would like to get this trailer. It has a class 5 factory hitch with the tow package. Rv dealer states that with the WD hitch and sway bar I would be able to pull the trailer and be comfortable. We live in Michigan so hills are not really an issue but I do not want this thing parked and not being used because it is a pain to pull. The chev has a 5.7 and 3.73 axle and HD trany oil cooler. Owners manual states 6000lb max. Am I nuts for even thinking aboout doing this. We want this big of a trailer since we have 3 kids and when we are not using it for camping it will be used like a guest house. The property we just bought has been set up for a travel trailer hook up with a seperate well, septic and power hookup all on a nice flat area by our pond. So am I nuts? Please help with any advice.

Thanks

TexasClodhopper

Re: Towing with a 99 Suburban questions

I don't know about pulling it, but I do know that the "guests" who most like your new guest house will be mice! Sounds like a beautiful spot, though!

Welcome to the forum, Rob!

DL Rupper

Add 2000 lbs to the dry weight for the Travel Trailer and you will be closer to the real weight of the TT when it is loaded for a trip. Also, you have to consider the weight of the suburban fully loaded with gas, passengers and gear. You might get by for short not to frequent trips. If you plan on a lot of long trips, I would look for a smaller or lighter trailer or a tow vehicle with a heavier tow rating.

hertig

Tow ratings are for a completely empty vehicle, no passengers, no cargo, no accessories. Just a 150 pound driver and a bit of gas. And the weight being towed is a flat bed trailer with 'no' wind resistance. My 'real towing weight guess formula for that suburban is (6000 - 1000) * .8 or 4000 pounds. Sorry, but that trailer is way too much for that truck.

hillslider

Thanks everyone for the replies. My gut feeling was right. But I did go ahead a make a purchase tonight. I found a 2008 Jayco 26JTX. Still pretty big and a bit heavy. Dry weight is 4560. This paticular Jayco dealer gave excellent service and advice and hope to very happy for many years. I know I am not buying a Cadilac of RV trailers but with 3 small children that can destroy a brick my investment of 13200 should make it a little easier to watch them be themselves. This will be our first camper so it should be fun!!!!
I hope all the skills my Dad and Grandpa taught me come back to mind on how to back that 29 foot beast up!

TexasClodhopper

I had a guy from San Augustine, Texas in DEEP East Texas once tell me that his kids were so bad,

"They can *mess* up a crowbar in a sandpile!"

Happy Trails!