Towing with a MH

Darrell

I am looking at a 1986 Fleetwood Pace Arrow w/ 454 and 3 speed auto and 4.56 gears.
The factory receiver on the rear looks pretty weak to tow an 8K lb trailer. A sticker next to it mentions not to use the receiver with a load equalizing hitch, which I think I will want even on a 33' MH.
My question is what are factory hitches typically rated for? This hitch is welded to frame extensions but is not designed like the typical class III pick-up hitch.
Who makes good tow hitches for older MH's? Draw-Tite, Reece or someone else.
I know fuel economy will be bad especially towing over the passes in Colorado with a gas burner but I can't afford the diesal pushers.
Darrell

Gary B

Towing with a MH

Hi Darrell, I think your best bet will be to go to a shop that installs heavy duty hitchs and have them beef up the frame and install a hitch thats up to the task. Most MH hitchs are rated at 3500 to 5000 lbs at the most. Just a suggestion, but with that kind of a load you may want to look into a over/underdrive aux tranny, like Gearvendors or US Gear corp. Good luck and welcome to the forum. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve: