Towing with gasoline engines

Camper1

I have not found the perfect travel trailer yet but after this weekend I have a question for everyone who tow with gasoline engines. When you are towing on interstate, for instance, running 70 mph in drive, what RPM's are you turning. I pulled my boat on the interstate this weekend and it weighs about 3200 pounds so I pull it overdrive just fine. I switched to drive just to see what it would like pulling a travel trailer, granted I was doing 75 mph, but it just seemed to rev the engine awful hard driving that fast in drive. So I guess my question is what is the fastest you tow in drive and is it working the engine too hard to cruise at 2900 - 3000 RPM's? Thanks to everyone for your advice!!

C Nash

Hi camper 1, well to start with I never tow at 75 :eek: . 55 is a safe limit in my opinion :approve: Slow down and enjoy :) I can understand if you are going fishing you have got to beat the other fishermen there :laugh: Well, guess you also have to beat the other campers to the campground so we can get the best spot or out run that chevy, ford or Dodge. No 2900 - 3000 RPM will not hurt your engine (IMO) but, common sense will tell you that an engine running at 1500 rpm will last twice as long as one running 3000 rpm. Telling my age but, I remember when this RPM was about right for 60 mph.

deanh

Whats yor hurry??? Your going to kill your truck making it pull 3000lbs at 75. Slow down and enjoy the ride you will get better gas mileage for sure. What is the speed limit where you live?

connorm

i have a 1995 terry travel trailer and a 2003 trailblazer i do 65 70 at 3000 rmps so it not to bad.it wegihts about 4,100 lbs
thanks connor mulhern okauchee, wi

Camper1

I was pulling the boat down the interstate so the speed limit was 70 mph. I don't know that I would ever be pulling the camper down the interstate but was wondering if anybody had any experience pulling at 65 - 75 in drive or does everyone just slow down a little.

Kirk

Whie we don't travel much over 60 with the motorhome, I see people who do any time we get on a major highway, particularly the interstates. And I also frequently see threads by RVers about traveling at 70+. So while I agree about the safety of less speed when traveling, I don't buy that everyone slows down. And some of them are driving gas powered motorhomes and tow vehicles. And many of them are BIG too, so where are they?

connorm

YES I PULL MY 18 FOOT LARSON I/O IT WEGHTIES ABOUT 2300 POUNDS BUT I ALWAYS PULL IN 3RD GEAR BECAUSE OD IS A SMALL GEAR AND IF IT DOWN SHIFS A LOT IT WILL WEAR OUT.
tHANKS CONNOR M

John Harrelson

I never go over 65 mph under any condition, with or without a trailer in tow..
But at 65 without trailer, my 7.3 diesel sits at 1800 rpm in 5th gear and 2400 in 4th..

With the trailer attached I always pull in 4th gear and the truck gets about 14/17 mpg depending on the terrain.

But, thats just me and the way I drive....

John

flyboy1

HI there
I pull my 29' prowler lynx with a 2001 Toyota Tundra. My trailer weighs about 5500lbs ready to camp. When I am on surface streets I lock out the overdrive and at 65 i am turning about 3000. On the interstate in overdrive at 70 I am turning about 2200

radioray

I'm with those who say "slow down". Isn't that the idea anyway? I generally keep it to 55-60 at all times - if I'm in a hurry, I'll take a plane!

Plant

Hi, Camper One
I drive a gasoline M/H mostly at 55 as I find it handles better and a lot of states that is the speed limit. I agree slow down and learn to enjoy the area you are going through, this country has a lot of beautiful sites.

Plant

Hi, Camper One
I drive a gasoline M/H mostly at 55 as I find it handles better and a lot of states that is the speed limit. I agree slow down and learn to enjoy the area you are going through, this country has a lot of beautiful sites.