Towing

Professor Curt

I'm considering upgrading my travel trailer. I ahve a 25' Coachmen that I tow with a 2000 Chevy Tahoe. I'm looking at a 29' Sprinter or a 30-1/2' Coachmen - the weight is about the same, around 6500lbs dry. My question is, can a 2000 Tahoe pull a 30' travel trailer comfortably?? Weight is not the issue - lenght is. Is my wheelbase long enough to handle 30'. And is there that much of a difference between 29' and 30-1/2' ? I've ordered teh Sprinter, but I would really perfer teh Coachmen. PLease reply soonest.

routabit

Re: Towing

I would say NO from my personal experience. When I bought my 26' Jayco Ultra Light, I was towing it with a 2002 Explorer. The wheelbase was just too short and everytime I was passed by a big rig, it would move me around. Power wasn't the issue as much as handling. Also, you have to consider emergency stops. Will it stay behind you or pass you by.

I bought my Dodge truck and now it never moves a bit (comparatively speaking) and I don't even know it's back there.

routabit

Re: Towing

I would say NO from my personal experience. When I bought my 26' Jayco Ultra Light, I was towing it with a 2002 Explorer. The wheelbase was just too short and everytime I was passed by a big rig, it would move me around. Power wasn't the issue as much as handling. Also, you have to consider emergency stops. Will it stay behind you or pass you by.

I bought my Dodge truck and now it never moves a bit (comparatively speaking) and I don't even know it's back there.