toxic oder in new trailer

buzzman

I have a 04 Jayco 28 fks trailer that I have had since march, when ever you enter the trailer you can't stay in it for more than 5 min. then your eyes start to burn so bad you have to get out! I called Jayco about this and was told they were aware of this. Iwas told to air it out ,I've been doing this for 5 months,then turn the heat on and repeat 4 or 5 times,then burn a sulfer candell, all this has failed.I'm looking for an answer to the problem and I not knocking any one's product,otherwise I like it a lot.We are letting it air out 3 dayes before we can use it and this has gotten old.I also was told this was caused by formaldehyde!
PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Gary B

Hi buzzman, welcome to the forum, I don't have any answers for you, but I KNOW what you are talking about, we have been looking at new TT and we were in a new Coachmen and a Jayco and I & my wife couldn't stand it, my eyes were burning, I couldn't get out fast enough. I am really surprised that airing yours out and after 5 months its still that way, thats definetly a bad deal. :eek:
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

kitfoxjh

Buzzman, I understand what you are dealing with. I had a 5th wheel that still bothered our eyes a little after 4 years. Just traded it for a MH this spring and are going through the same thing again. Let it open to air out for a trip and it isn't too bad until you come home and it sits for a bit. My only suggestions are keeping it open when possible and using air fresheners. Also a large open bag of charcoal briquettes will absorb a lot of oders. The formaldehyde in all the furnishings is supposed to disipate after a short period of time, but it must not.

buzzman

Gary B,thanks for giving me your input. Are you the moderator of this forum? I think this a good thing, the older I get I have found that its best to find someone that has been where you are and start off there instead of the begining.If any thing I here works I will spred the word.
BUZZY

buzzman

John H,Thanks for the reply I will try the charcoal and if I hear of something and it works I will pass it on.
BUZZY

Gary B

Hi Buzzy no I'm not the moderator, but I really realy like this forum! :) We have so many great folks on here that help, and its such a nice easy going forum. You can feel free to ask anything and you won't get the flaming etc that goes on on some of the others, like wise with answering.
:) :laugh: :cool: ;) :approve:

ceramiclady

hi buzzman,
I have the same problem with my 06 coachman. Have had it up at the shop more than we have been camping in it.... :( .

I was told by coachman that there is a product called NO Nonsence oder that would take out the smell. We can't find it any where. Maybe someone on this forum has heard of it and can let us know.
Good Luck

ivaldespino

Hi there Buzzman,
I know exactly what you are talking about. The first time I walked into mine, my eyes and throat where burning like you wouldn't Believe !! I just purchased a brand new travel trailer and what that smell is the outgassing of the new material especially the plastic. It will be worse if it is hot outside and your trailer is all closed up. When I get my trailer out from storage, the first thing I do is open the roof vents and the one in the bathroom, I turn on the fan and of course open some windows.That smell will eventually go away. I just got back from a camp trip and what I did when I put in back in storage, I slightly crack the roof vents. Not to much but just enough that the smell has some where to escape. I have another upcoming trip. I will get back to you to see if cracking those vents helped any!

SnowbirdInFlight

The cheapest and best way to rid the trailer of odors is baking soda and lots of it! It's cheap and readily available everywhere. Just pour it into bowls and set one or two in each room. Change it once a week. We also boiled potatoes because someone told us that would work. I guess one or the other or both did because it only took about one week to rid the trailer of the eye-watering fumes. Good luck!
:)