toy hauler question

kpenick

We are considering purchasing an XLR by Forest River. Our main concern is that we camp permanently 75% of the time and were wondering how well this would work for our children staying in the rear bedroom. The one we are considering has the extra insulation package on the floors and ceiling but we were still concerned about how well it will stay cooled in the summer and heated in the cooler months.
Any comments will be appreciated! :)

hertig

Re: toy hauler question

A toy hauler is really a garage with living quarters. It should be perfectly fine for a weekend or a week or even longer. But living in it '75% of the time' will probably get real old. The rear part is designed primarily for machinery, not people or even kids.

I doubt that any toy hauler is designed or rated for 'full time use'. Check the warranty to see if it is void if you use the unit more than 'x' months per year. Even if not 'prohibited', I'd think it over really carefully.

Some people are perfectly happy with their Forest River. Others have had trouble with manufacturing defects and it appears that some of them have not had satisfactory service from Forest River in getting the defects fixed. It might be a good idea to browse through the Forest River threads to get a feel for what you are getting into.

lacamper

RE: toy hauler question

I am also looking into getting a toy hauler. Have motorcycle I would like to carry along with us. Seems space for bike takes away from other perks of the camper (living space). Is there another way to bring bike (bed of truck hard to load and unload with ramps)? Looked at the Outback 28' front load door. Seems to fit us the best. All rear load takes too much space from living area. Is there a better make TT? Have weight constraints (1/2 ton, 4.7 L dodge). Thanks :)

hertig

A half ton truck with a small gas engine may have trouble towing a 28' trailer. Except for the very latest models of 1/2 tons, the practical towing limit seems to be about 5000 pounds (depending on the truck and what you carry in it, of course).

Places to carry a motorcycle. rack on the front of the truck (generally for very small ones), the bed of the truck (difficult to get in and out, may interfere with fifth wheel hitch), an extended hitch which has a rack between the truck and a travel trailer, a rack on the tounge of the travel trailer, a rack on the rear of the trailer (most are not strong enough or have adequate weight distribution for this), inside the trailer (ie, a toy hauler) which takes away from the living space, or on a trailer behind the trailer (a pain and illegal in some states).

Basically, with that truck you probably won't be able to tow much trailer, and thus the motor cycle is not really practical

DL Rupper

John said it all. I don't think you (lacamper) will have enough power to pull a very big TT and to add the weight of a motorcycle will make it harder to get up the hills.

Wingnut90

Good afternoon! I don't know if you have already purchased your trailer, but I just walked through probably the most beautiful toy hauler that I have ever seen. It is a Carriage Carri Lite 37 footer. It has a rear side door, for either a golf cart or other same size toy. I was told that they are going to stop production but have no real proof of that. If you get a chance, go see this thing, it is amazing.

Sparkalounger

RE: toy hauler question

it would be my opinion that a toy hauler would be great for what you are looking to do.
The "garage" portion will make a great mud room and provide much needed storage space.
trying to keep an rv clean is alot easier when you have a place to keep your shoes and coats.
to say that "toy haulers is reallt a garage with living quarters" seems a bit un-informed to me... they have come along ways in the past few years.

hertig

Glad to hear they have made improvements. Note that 'Garage with living quarters' is not an insult, just a description of what they are (or at least used to be).

Even a few years ago, the front parts could have very nice bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. Then they opened out, with a living area and dining area which were adequate. But the rear is (or at least used to be) designed for the 'toys', ie mechanical, often gasolene powered, often dirty, large, heavy contraptions which usually need to be 'driven' up into this area. Of course, they have swing down beds here so that some sleeping can be done, but this used to be a temporary arrangement, designed for a weekend or a week, not 9 months.

As a storage area, it would be great. As a mud room, it would be ok, if there was a people door in the area (so you don't have to lower the whole rear wall) and you added shoe/coat storage. As a long term bedroom, the ones I saw a few years back would have been less than stellar.

Which is not to say that some manufacturer has overcome this. Or a talented DIY could not upgrade this part of the trailer.

TexasClodhopper

I have never figured how you can keep the smell (offroaders call it perfume) of the toys from seeping into the living quarters over time. (Offroaders say, "And where's the problem?") :clown:

DARLING

TC
I guess it is an aquired aroma. Sorta like diesel smoke. :laugh: :laugh:

Darlin :cool:

DL Rupper

I was weaned on dirt bike smoke/fumes. Wasn't much of a jump to Dodge diesel smoke. :laugh: :approve: