Trailer - Truck Weights

ARCHER

Sorry about asking this same question again (I think I ask it before). Lost some memory while in hospital, sorry.

I've got a 99 Ram 1500, Auto w/OD, w/5.9L Mag V8., 3.92 Rear End, 360 CID, Trailer Group (got 132K miles on it)

GCWR = 12,500 lbs
GVWR = 6,400 lbs
MAX Trailer weight says 7,600 lbs

We found a 99 Sunnybrook 29 footer that we have just fell in love with. I realize that I could buy a newer truck (2500 or bigger), but not an option at this point.

Trailer unloaded lbs = 6,945 lbs
Trailer gross = 8,600 lbs

RV dealer told me I could pull this if I was careful not to overload truck/trailer. They would include sway bars, brake controller, stabilizers, etc.

I'm not gonna be pulling this thing all over the country.....just to Florida this fall and probably be leaving it down there for next summer. I was hoping I could get away with perhaps pulling it down (even if it took me a week to get there using off roads at a slower than interstate speed). Don't want to tear up my engine or transmission.

I get somewhat confused about the GVWR, GCWR, ETC., so was hoping someone would be kind enough to perhaps explain this to me one more time (I promise I'll print it this time). If the bottom line is I cannot pull this without tearing up the truck or even worse, being unsafe on the hightway, that is ok, I'll understand. Still got the ole 89 Chieftain that we can rely on for another few years, I hope (she still only has 19K miles on her and runs rear good, as long as the gas line stays connected to the gas pump, ha ha) tks ;)

hertig

Re: Trailer - Truck Weights

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the maximum a vehicle can weigh. GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) is the maximum a vehicle and anything it is towing can be. Note that the 'tow weight' advertised for the truck is with no cargo, no passengers, no assessories, nothing but a 150 pound driver and a bit of gas. And the trailer being towed is a flat bed with 'no' wind resistance.

So my 'true tow weight guess formula' for your truck would be (7600 - 1000) * .8 or 5280. Which means that this trailer and truck combination is not viable for normal use. Of course, if you are small, don't carry anyone or anything in the truck or trailer, don't have any major hills or headwind, you probably could get the trailer to Florida; take the combination to the scale before setting out on the trip, and insure the GCVW, GVWR and rear GAWR (gross axel weight rating) are not exceeded, and you should be legally and morally ok. But don't plan on using this combo as a 'mobile home'.

ARCHER

Thanks, John, appreciate the candor and straightforward answer. Inside, I kind of felt I was pushing the limits a little far. I even thought of either renting a bigger pickup and hauling it via that route. After I get it to Florida (if I buy it), I'll be able to have a relative haul it to their property for summer months. Might be just as cheap to rent pickup, haul it down, turn in pick up and fly home. Do they rent pickup trucks (2500 or 3500 ) ONE WAY????
TKS AGAIN

DL Rupper

You can probably get by on a one way trip. The auto transmission may be your weak link. May overheat on hills unless you have a auxiliary transmission cooler on your pickup..
Most one way rentals have a drop off fee that is pretty hefty.

NHRalph

I remember a time, during the 60's and 70's when trailers were towed with station wagons, hardly anyone had pick-ups then.
Since it is now, 2007, If I was pulling it, I would make sure I had heavy duty shocks, maybe a helper spring and like DL says, a transmission cooler. Check all fluids before going or even change the tranny fluid before going.

ARCHER

NGRalph, I remember that time. Even had a brother-in-law who towed a 34 foot air stream with a Chev Van at 65/70 MPH. He never worried about weight and towed it for two or three years to Florida and back to West Virginia without any problems. I sure do see a lot of (what I consider) bigger TT on the road being pulled by 1500s,
I've got the tow package on the truck, with heavy duty alternator, transmission cooler, heavy duty shocks, etc. Was planning on doing a transmission service before a trip like that and a tune-up also. I'm thinking more and more of giving it a try (of course, weighing all before I would take off). tks ;)

Shadow

Check brakes, trailer and truck. Have you hooked the trailer up to the truck yet just to see how it's going to sit?

ARCHER

Hi Shadow, No, have not hooked up the truck cause, I have not bought the trailer. Only seen it one time and we both loved it, but have been looking around a lot for lighter weight type TT, Aerolite, etc. WE both still come back to the older 99 Sunnybrook that we like better than all the others. I would, of course, check brakes out on the trailer and would do brakes, etc., on the ole truck. The trailer is listed around $16,500., and I think it is way over priced. I'd be offering them maybe $12,000. with them hooking up brake controller, sway bars, stabilizer, etc., and if they wanted to sell it they would deal.
We still have the ole 89 Chieftain. I just wanted to look at maybe a TT in lieu of costs of gas (80 gallon tank), new roof A/C, new Hot water tank (neither really needed but wanted to upgrade the hot water tank to LP/Elect), other little things to work on to get the ole gal working and looking real good and with health matters not sure I can or will be able to do what I really want to do to her. Won't be able to get a whole lot for her even though she only has 19K miles on her.........she sure is pretty inside with all the oak and storage etc., new fridge little over a year old.
Hope your doing good and I'll let ya know what happens. ;) :) *PS...I think the DRs finally got me on the mend real good....can breathe again without gasping....start rehab tomorrow.

hertig

A transmission temperature guage would be a good addition. As mentioned, the auto transmission is the weak link in towing, and seeing the temperature rising would give you a chance to pull over and let it cool before damage occurs.

And remember, hit the scales before getting on the road, to insure you are below all weight ratings.