Tranny ques- 2001 Allison 2000MH

rkenly

I traded in my 91 Pace Arrow for a 2001 Winne Journey. It has the 2000MH tranny.

Ever since I got the MH I've been learning a lot - not having been a diesel owner.

The rig now has 24,000 miles (or so). I found that the air cleaner "thingie" that tells you how clean the air filter was ... was broken. So I dropped the air cleaner (literally) out of it, and there was a large pile of dirt that landed on the floor. So I put in a new air filter.

I had the oil changed, and it looked even dirtier than dirty oil - but there was a sticker that the oil had been changed about 12k miles, so it had about 12,000 miles on the oil - and the owners manual indicates 15,000 miles or 1 year - so close I guess.

When I was under it this weekend it looks like the oil filter on the tranny is the orignal one - still a faded orange. So I'm guessing I should change it - what about the internal ones? (I assume that there are internal ones). The tranny does indicate that it should be Transynd fluid.

I live in a small town, so I have to mail order everything - or travel about 4 hours to Freightliner at Las Vegas.

Anything else I should be thinking about doing?

Thanks,

AllisonMan

As far as the transmission goes, there is a mandetory service at 5000 miles. I hope the previous owners did this. Then if it is Dexron III, 2 yrs or 25,000 miles after the 5,000. If you have synthetic Allison approved tes295 oil, every 36 months you need to have the external filter changed and send in an oil sample from a kit that Allison has (I say Allison because they have all the equipment to test the synthetic condition and keep running graph on your own particular vehicle) You do not need to change the internal filter. This is only changed at an overhaul. You should however get with your local Allison distributor and see if your serial number fits within a field action that Allison is doing. Ask distributor for details as I am not here to sell service just answer questions,.Thank you and have a great day! :)

rkenly

AllisonMan,

Since I'm out in the middle of nowhere - where do I find the serial number, etc, so I can send them an email to find out?

The tranny has the TRANSYND sticker on it, so it is synthetic.

The mandatory service at 5k miles- is that a just change the filter? or something else? When I send an email (with the serial number), will they be able to figure out if it had been serviced? - or go ahead and change the filter anyway?

Since that filter is so small, it seems that I would be further ahead to just change it, add the quart of transynd and be done with it. Right?

Thanks,

jashields

My dream a garage larger than my house!
Diesel oil is always black. Don1t look at oil,
use mileage for changes always with a new filter.