TranSynd ATF

mooschi

My motorhome has 93000 miles on it and is now 12 years old. Is it too late to change to Synthetic ATF in the Allison MD 6030 transmission? Is it safe (or wise) to mix synthetics with regular petrolium based oils? The transmission has been trouble free and I dont want to start having problems as a result of doing somethign foolish.

LEN

RE: TranSynd ATF

Just had mine done, flushed both filters, then the new Transynd with just a bit fewer miles and she's running good. The shop said the trans is just broken in good and should be better on it.

LEN

dbarton291

mooschi - 1/12/2009 9:21 AM

My motorhome has 93000 miles on it and is now 12 years old. Is it too late to change to Synthetic ATF in the Allison MD 6030 transmission? Is it safe (or wise) to mix synthetics with regular petrolium based oils? The transmission has been trouble free and I dont want to start having problems as a result of doing somethign foolish.

It is not too late. You can mix Transynd and other ATFs.

Triple E

Remember, you can use Amsoil Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. This is a replacement for the Allison/Castrol Transynd fluid. I pay 159.60 for 5 gallons. -Steve

LEN

Re: TranSynd ATF

Mine was with Transynd and the price was about $150 for the 18 qts 41/2 gallons needed.

LEN

Triple E

Yes you can mix. I just talked with an Allison rep. and he said they prefer to flush the transmission before they install the TranSynd but it is not necessary :) A flush takes about a hour longer and about $150.00 more :(

dbarton291

Triple E - 2/20/2009 7:46 PM

Yes you can mix. I just talked with an Allison rep. and he said they prefer to flush the transmission before they install the TranSynd but it is not necessary :) A flush takes about a hour longer and about $150.00 more :(

Specifically, what kind of flush was this Allison rep referring to? A double oil change to get the majority of the mineral oil out of the system maybe?

Triple E

Good question. He just stated that when you go from a conventional ATF to a synthetic ATF they like to do a flush to get all of the conventional oil out. When I ask the rep. if this was necessary he said no.
I have ask the Allison Man if this flush is something that can be done at home or if it should to be done in a shop. Still awaiting his reply. -me

Triple E

bajahootman, My book states that for Initial fill (26qt.), when replacing internal filter(s) (18qt.). This is for a MD3060. -me

dbarton291

Triple E - 2/21/2009 2:58 PM

Good question. He just stated that when you go from a conventional ATF to a synthetic ATF they like to do a flush to get all of the conventional oil out. When I ask the rep. if this was necessary he said no.
I have ask the Allison Man if this flush is something that can be done at home or if it should to be done in a shop. Still awaiting his reply. -me

I don't think there's anything special he's referring to. The Allison service bulletin on fluid and filter change intervals mentions that vehicles that have had one change with Transynd need to follow the change interval instructions for non-TES295 fluids until the second change with Transynd. That's been discussed here before.