travel trailer vs 5th wheel

My husband and i are looking to buy a rv. We have 2 small children and want one we can grow with. i found this site and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

travel trailor vs 5th wheel
how much does each take off your gas milage

anyone have problems with slide outs?

DL Rupper

Re: travel trailer vs 5th wheel

Hey firefighternurse, welcome to the forum. The first question is what do you intend to tow it with? The 5th wheel can only be towed with a pickup truck.

SnowbirdInFlight

RE: travel trailer vs 5th wheel

firefighternurse - 3/1/2007 4:52 PM My husband and i are looking to buy a rv. We have 2 small children and want one we can grow with. i found this site and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. travel trailor vs 5th wheel how much does each take off your gas milage anyone have problems with slide outs?

Hi firefighternurse and welcome to the board!

My hubby and I pull a 38 foot travel trailer with a 3500 Dodge Ram Duelly and get 11 to 13 mpg. This is a diesel engine. Good luck in your search!

hertig

When I had a fifth wheel, about 6500 pounds loaded, my gas mileage went from 12.5 unhooked to 8.1 towing at the speed limit. Slowing down to 55 brought the towing mileage up to 10.5. This was with a 2001 GMC 2500 HD with the 6.0L gas engine.

SnowbirdInFlight

Oh yes, I will add that we don't drive any faster than 50 mph. We get almost 2 more gallons per mile at this speed then we did before we slowed down. But hey, we're retired, we have no appointments to be anywhere, and we can see more on the way to our next stop. ;)

C Nash

Just be sure you have a tow vehicle to match the rv. Over 55 will kill your MPG. 5th wheel will tow best IMO. Either will decrease MPG about 5 to 8 MPG but I had a 76 caddy with the 500 engine that got 10 MPG towing or not. I would advise slides with kids. You will need the extra living space on rainy days. The slides on our MH have never given any problems. Good luck and welcome to the forum.