Travel trailers 36'+ and actually travelling....

rivver

Well, I got a great deal on a travel trailer-- didn't buy it yet-- it is 37' long, with three slides, and just beautiful. a dutchmen 37Q-DSL... the question is, are these trailers really set up to travel with? We will be taking it from NY to Louisiana, to Texas and to Arizona and then home annually-- parked about 2 months at least in each place. The TT has sliding glass doors as an entry-- I was told by one salesman that it really isn't meant to travel-- it is more meant to park as a "park model" and another said it was perfectly fine to travel with it, and yet another told me that it wasn't suitable with those doors. That the doors would come loose with repeated road vibration.

Anyone know much about the "park trailer" thing, or the sliding glass doors, or even about something that long being used as a tow behind? I really love the lay out and I have a very inexpensive price of $23,7 delivered.

Thanks
rivver

ARCHER

Re: Travel trailers 36'+ and actually travelling....

Sounds more like a park model than a TRAVELER. I sure would not haul it around a lot. JMO

C Nash

These type trailers are designed to stay in one place and I would not recomend moving often. JMO. What would you be towing with?

rjf7g

I looked at the Dutchmen 37B-DSL when I bought my PARK trailer. I like the front kitchen floor plan (had that on my last TRAVEL trailer). I ended up going with an Innsbruck 36 FRS. One thing I noticed in looking at park trailers (I do keep mine parked on a leased lot year round) is the axles and wheels do not seem to be as robust as what I had on my travel trailer. Mine has a residential refridgerator, but other than the wheels and axles has everything else you would find in a travel trailer. It could just be me, but if I was looking for that much space in something I wanted to pick up and move every few months, I would go for a 5'er...

rivver

RE: Travel trailers 36'+ and actually travelling....

We have an E-450 shuttle bus-- Okay then, what is the largest travel trailer recommended for pulling behind... I also found a 30sky timberlodge last night online... and then there is the wildwood 32bhds... so many choices, and who do you trust to give you real answers? Not the person making the commission!!

Thank you all---
:)

DL Rupper

I'd stay at around 30' with a TT. They don't tow as easily as a 5th Wheel. The problem is wind and 18 wheelers going by. They tend to sway back and forth . The smaller the better as far as side winds go. If you get a good hitch you can control the sway somewhat if it is adjusted right.

C Nash

How many will you be traveling with in the rv? Like DL I would stay in the 30 ft range with a couple of slides. Not familiar with the 450 shuttle bus. Do you know its tow capacity?

rivver

The GVWR is 14,050 and the GCWR is about 30K I think... we're set on that end. I've seen a few 32 BHDS models.. is the Forest River Wildwood any better than Hornet's model? We're two adults and a 12 year old. and two little dogs and two bird cages... we'll be full timing in it for up to 5 months annually.

DL Rupper

Check out Forest River Issues thread in the General RVing subject.

Poppa

Might check out the Keystonemodels with the bunk house arrangement that has a closing door. We have a 31 foot Cougar with a bunk house (4 bunks) and when we have company or decide to pull up stakes we just close the door to the Kids mess :cool:

C Nash

Might also check into the Sunnybrook line that Ken sales at grandview Trailer Sales.

ARCHER

I'd sure check at Kenneth's. Sure would not hurt anything and you just might find what you need at the price you would like. He just received our new Trailer yesterday and we are headed down that way this weekend to pick it up early next week. We purchased the Sunset Creek 272FK model and believe we will love it. Still have our old 89 Winn Chieftain but wanted to go newer with slide and nice options.
Kenneth was great to deal with via the net and via the telephone. Yup, we have not even met face to face yet and we bought the trailer from him, even though we live in Indiana (only about 85 miles from the Sunnybrook factory (btw, we toured the factory and we were impressed with their manufacturing). The dealers here would not even come close to the deal we made in our opnion. At least that is the way we feel about it.
Anybody want to buy the ole Winn.....she only has 19K miles on her, new fridge less than two years ago, new toilet last fall, $300 worth of furnace work last fall, new windshield (driver side, crack rock) last spring, new plugs and plug wires available and air filter and gas filter available. New regulator last year for lp, hot water tank basically rebuilt except for tank itself within the last three years. Has a couple bubbles on the side from original owner letting fridge drain inside in lieu of outside, but could be fixed pretty easy. taking offers.... ;) :laugh: