Traveling from Fl to Yellowstone

Barley

We're leaving Florida in July for our first long trip, 2 months, ending up in Montana. Looking for suggestions for routes, places to stay/visit.

DL Rupper

Re: Traveling from Fl to Yellowstone

Hey Barley, welcome to the forum. Too bad you aren't on your way now. you could follow behind and smell my wonderful dodge Cummins diesel smoke. I'm on my way right now to Cody, WY. You can get to Yellowstone from Cody, WY or through Dubois, WY or up through Utah/Idaho.

If I was heading to Yellowstone in July, I would head North as soon as possible to get out of the hot/hot to just hot weather. We are following the Mormon Pioneer Trail (I-80) right now in Lincoln, NE.

Good luck and don't drive to fast in the heat. It's real hard on the tires.

Barley

Thanks for responding, DL. I'm really new at forums and RV's for that matter. Question for a fulltimer - do you make reservations ahead, or just wing it? Where's a good place to stay in Cody? Lucky you, going now, but we really want to be out of Florida July/August.

DL Rupper

Hey Barley, not sure how lucky we are right now. It's still snowing in the Wyoming mountains and the TV News today said they are hoping to open the road to Yellowstone by May 2. The only problem is that the gate to Yellowstone from Cody, WY is at the top of the mountain and probably won't open until later still. We also like to go in the Silver Gate by Cooke City, MT that goes into the upper Lamar Valley in Yellowstone, but it too is on the other side of a high mountain pass from Cody, WY. :(

The advantage of going early is that you don't need reservations. We wing it as much as possible, however, in the Summer it's hard to do. This year may be different. So far it's cost us $365 in diesel fuel to come 877 miles.

The Ponderosa Campground in Cody is/was a pretty good one. Check out www.RVparkreviews.com for campground info.

Even Yellowstone area is hot (85/90 degrees) in July/Aug, but not as humid as down in Florida.