Traveling through AZ, CO & WY

AlreadyGone

My family is considering a trip that will take us across the US starting from NJ.

We would like to visit the Grand Canyon, parts of the Rocky Mountains and then up to Cheyenne, WY.

We will be taking our Ford F-250 hauling a 27' Travel Trailer.

The trip will be during the summer months. Is there anything we need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

hertig

Only that, being summer, it will be hot and often humid. Northern Arizona and parts of Colorado should be fairly nice, but going uphill to northern Arizona/Colorado may be stressful on your tow vehicle. It would be a good idea, before leaving, to ensure that your cooling system (engine AND transmission) is in good shape, and keep an eye on the temperatures (particularly transmission) when going up long or steep grades.

Might want to make sure the AC and refridgerator are working at peak efficiancy too...

There's a nice campground in Batavia, New York (Lei-Ti, www.leiti.com). More expensive than I like, but they accept Passport America, which makes them a bargain.

If you go through 'Tollklahoma', bring lots of change. They charge by the axel and it cost us over $25 to get from the Missouri border to OK City. No more tolls from there on (although there were some rough stretches of road).

If you stay overnight in Flagstaff, bring good ear plugs. I stayed at a campground there surrounded by tracks, and every train in the country came there to test their horns at all hours of the night :)

Kirk

While hertig is right about some hot weather, there will be very low humidity in that part of the country. Having lived in Denver for 3 years and Cheyenne for the following 18, I would offer some thoughts. It sounds as though you plan to stay on the east side of the mountains so assuming that you have a lot of time, be sure to stop in Canyon City to see Royal Gorge, Colorado Springs to see Pike's Peak & Garden of the Gods, Estes Park for the Rocky Mtn. Natl. Park, and if you get to Cheyenne for the last week of Juiy they have one of the world's greatest rodeos with lots of other things to do and some are free. Keep in mind that you will be at an altitude of 6000' in Cheyenne and it isn't in the mountains. It will get very cool at night (warm nights are in the 50's) and it could even snow. The only month that Cheyenne has never experienced snow is August and Rocky Mtn. Park has no snow free months. It is rare at the visitor center, but not up on Trail Ridge Road. So bring warm clothing.

I hope that you plan to spend at least two weeks on the trip and three would be much better. You will be traveling a great distance as well. Your trip will be between 4000 and 5000 miles and will pass through some of the most scenic country in the US so take a lot of time. If you would like, drop me an e-mail ( woody@1tree.net ) and I will offer any assistance that I can.

hertig

Kirk, you are right, that at times and places, the humidity will be very low. For instance, Arizona in June and early July is VERY dry, and as I recall (its been over 20 years) Colorado is fairly dry all summer long. In the higher elevations, humidity will probably not be a problem at any time. Since we don't know when Jeff will be where, it may be better for him to assume humidity and be pleasantly surprised if it is dry, no? Besides, by most (if not all) paths from NJ to the SW, he will be travelling THROUGH some very humid areas.