traveling through cold weather question???????

cruzer

Hello all,

I am new here and have found the info on this site very helpful. I will be traveling from San Diego to Rolla Missouri in January. I have travled in the RV many times but never in the weather that I expect to be in for this trip. The Family and I are moving or we would pick a better time to do this. Anyway, my Rv is an 85 Pinnacle. Can I travel with water in the tanks in the cold without freezing them up as long as we keep the inside heated? They are not in a heated bay or anything like some of the newer RV's. I understand how to winterize it once I get there but am hoping that we will be able to use the water, toilet etc. during the travel. Any info would be great. Thank you for your time.

Rob,

Kirk

As long as the cold is not excessive, your plumbing should be OK as it is probably inside of the RV and runs through the cabinets rather than under the floor. If yours is like more motor-homes from that era, the fresh water tank will be located under the bed and it should be immune to freezing when the RV is occupied. The waste tanks are a different matter. I would use liberal amounts of RV antifreeze in them as you want to be sure that the pipes where they exit do not freeze and they will be quite vulnerable. If you stay south as long as possible and also watch the weather forcasts you should be OK. I would assume that you will travel east on I8 to I10 to Van Horn, TX? From there I would take I20 but, watch the weather and if it should be bad, sit it out as bad weather does not last long in that part of the country. Once you leave Dallas on I35 you will have more risk of freezing weather or snow the farther you go. By Oklahoma City you probably will have freezing temperatures at night.

The key is to locate all of the water lines and know where they are before you leave. If it is really cold, you will need to keep the cupboard doors open to any area that has water lines in them, just to be sure. You will need to operate the furnace as you travel is it is very unlikely that the chassis heater will keep things comfortable.

cruzer

Thank you for the info Kirk. I was going to take the 40 but have been looking at the 10 instead. Will not be on a tight schedule so if the weather gets bad we will just stay put till it gets better. I have never been in the MidWest before although I did grow up in the snow and cold. Thanks again.

Rob,