traveling west

G

RE: traveling west

wel Hollis since i spent much of my younger years in NM ,, then i would say ,, not in June , july ,or even august ,, i went to diesel school out there (Phoenix) after high school ,, and i picked the winter months to go ,, but even they were warm ,, but no 112 in the shade type days ,, but this is just MO ,, u know.. have not been back out west in many ,, many yrs ,,, so all may have changed ,, i know the weather here sure has :eek: ;) ;) :laugh:

H2H1

Re: traveling west

thanks Rod waiting to see if I get any other response back. Also did u get my PM

DL Rupper

Spring or Fall. Summer is HOT, Winter is Cold. Northern Arizona, Flagstaff area, is cooler than down towards Tucson. Higher elevation.

H2H1

thanks DL, what about the weather i.e. rain or TS? we are trying to plan for the weather out look. no need in packing things you aren't going to use.

aussie Keith

We were there (N Arizona) in mid to late April last year and the weather could not have been more perfect. Clear skies, warm days (but not hot) and comfortable nights. What a place! Fantastic scenery which was almost never ending. Have a great trip.

DL Rupper

We were Flagstaff in early May a few years ago and it snowed about 3 inches, but it melts quick. March or early Apr may get some snow. It's usually fairly dry. Last time out there (early Mar 2006) it didn't rain at all. We were in Sodona, AZ (close to Flagstaff but lower elevation) and it never rained. Great weather. :cool:

H2H1

HEY DL where is a good camp ground out there? need to know so I can make reservations.
thanks

hertig

Northern Arizona is fairly high elevation. Thus it is cold and snowy in the winter, and not too terrible (complared to Phoenix/Tucson) in the summer. For best results, I would say June and September.

There is a nice campground about 30 miles west of Flagstaff, just off I40. Canyon Gateway Park, I think. They belong to Passport America.

H2H1

Thanks John ,I will look at it on the web. We have settle for 2nd. week in May. The DW wanted to stay at KOA in Flagstaff, so I made the reservation there. but I still can cancel if I find a better camp site. thanks for all who replied to my questions.

H2H1

Thanks Lee,
I have looked at these on line and Black Barks really didn't have good reviewand Kit carson wasn't any better. that why we went to the KOA in Flagstaff.

tallyo

H2H1,

We like J& H campground in Flagstaff. Small but nice , not a lot for the little people but very well run. Busy, so book early. Not open when there is snow.

DL Rupper

Hey Hollis, we stayed in an Public RV park when we were in Flagstaff many years ago. Probably didn't have any hookups. We were boondockers/and into rustic camping at the time. We stayed at Camp Verde RV (off I-17 South of Flagstaff) when we went to Sedona and Jerome, AZ, but it was only for about 3 days. It was a PA park, however, it wasn't real shiny. Just a place to explore the area.

Be sure to take in Sedona and Jerome AZ. Fantastic scenery. Sedona is an up scale Red Rock city. Take the back road (89A)from Flagstaff. Jerome is an old mining town perched on the side of the mountain (continue on 89A). Great fun. :cool:

H2H1

RE: traveling west

Thanks DL we are planning on staying about 4-5 days sight seeing and using the KOA camp as a base camp. We are planning on seeing as many site as we can in those few days. I will keep in mind your suggestions and reply when we get back.