Traveling with pets

deniloo

We have two small dogs that go with us camping. I know most of the State Parks and private (koa yogi etc)state that you are not to leave your pets unattended. Does that mean in the camper also? Being fairly new to this, we have avoided leaving the camp at all because of the dogs. I don't mean leaving them for hours but it would be nice to go out to dinner or look through a shop now and then. We love having the "boys" with us but would also like to explore some. Taking them with us in the truck, 2-tracking and elk watching :shy: are ok but the gift shops are something else! Any advise or opinions? :question:

ivaldespino

Traveling with pets

I have left my Lab in the trailer at times for a couple of hours due to the fact that my dog can not go to the swim beach area in State parks. I leave the A/C on and maybe open a window depending what the weathers like I might even turn on the TV or radio for him. I fill his bowl with water and I always feed him before we head to the swim beach so that you can let him go do his Business. You don't want the poor dog pacing for you to get back! I've never had any problems. I think it would be a problem if you left them outside tied up and being unattended. I figure my travel trailer is my second home, what's the difference from my first home? You should be O.K if you do the same as if you were at home. Happy camping with your K-9's!!

Kirk

Traveling with pets

We do the same as Ivan. Our dog does not bark at people who pass by and she is very quiet. She lays on the dash of our motorhome and just watches everything around us. She is quite content there and bothers no-one. The key to leaving a pet inside of the RV with no complaint is that they must be quiet. Most people never notice Muffie laying there. When she gets tired of the dash she usually lays in one of our chairs. But she is quite happy there and has stayed by herself for as long as 10 hours on occasion.

ivaldespino

Traveling with pets

I have left my Lab in the trailer at times for a couple of hours due to the fact that my dog can not go to the swim beach area in State parks. I leave the A/C on and maybe open a window depending what the weathers like I might even turn on the TV or radio for him. I fill his bowl with water and I always feed him before we head to the swim beach so that you can let him go do his Business. You don't want the poor dog pacing for you to get back! I've never had any problems. I think it would be a problem if you left them outside tied up and being unattended. I figure my travel trailer is my second home, what's the difference from my first home? You should be O.K if you do the same as if you were at home. Happy camping with your K-9's!!

Grandview Trailer Sa

Traveling with pets

We travel with 2 Schipperkee's (skipper key). We also have left them a couple of hours while we go out to eat or the like. We also make sure they have food, water and comfortable conditions as far as AC or heat. They are also quite until someone comes to the trailer. They will protect their home, just like most dogs.

onthecoach

Traveling with pets

We travel with our 11 year old German Shepherd Dog, Lady. I would NEVER leave her outside, tied up, unattended! Not only because German Shepherds can sometimes be scarry to other people, but mostly because I would be afraid of her being dog-napped or poisoned or injured. Besides, most campgrounds do not allow pets to be left alone outside.

We leave Lady in the coach (I think SHE thinks it's really HER coach), she sleeps either in the passenger chair or on the sofa, and keep all the shades drawn. I make sure she has some treats and toys around, and leave the radio on. We check the temperature, based on what the weather prediction is for the day and how long we'll be gone to make sure she'll be comfortable. Always give her fresh water, and, of course, she always goes 'potty' before we leave. As long as she doesn't see anybody she's quiet as a mouse.

If someone comes to the door...she is 'on the job' and barks like a German Shepherd!

I often take her with me when I run errands, go to the store and such, but I can't do that very much in the summer...too hot and I don't want to leave the windows open in the car. I am always afraid that someone might want to pet her, and Lady, thinking she needs to 'protect her territory' might not see that hand as friendly.

In short, we love having our baby with us, and she is good as gold....as long as we understand her needs and appreciate that she is guided by her instincts.

SideShow

Traveling with pets

On the other side of the coin, We have to take our Pit with us becose of the barking when people go by. I cant stand a unattended barking dog and I wont subject others to 1. The wife says it's My dog so I just go when I can take him or stay at the camp with him. You would be supprised at how many people who you meet there who stop to talk and visit becose of the dog. Best part is watching thier faces after thay have been petting him and say what nice dog he is, ( He is a people dog) and find out he is a Pit Bull. Priceless! And I'm not starting this for someone to start bashing My Dog. As I said I try to be a responcible dog owner.
Bob

Micah

Traveling with pets

Sideshow, The mean ones have been bred to be mean or the owners have made them that way. There are no bad dogs only bad owners. Sadly once they are that way there is no turning them around. Jerry

Micah

Traveling with pets

Sideshow, The mean ones have been bred to be mean or the owners have made them that way. There are no bad dogs only bad owners. Sadly once they are that way there is no turning them around. Jerry

Micah

Traveling with pets

Micah

Traveling with pets

deniloo

Traveling with pets

Our dogs are pretty good when they are in the camper and we are sitting outside by the fire. But then again they are your normal small "yappers". I would never leave ANY dog tied up outside!!! Mine are my "boys". I guess if we ran out for a quick dinner wouldn't be bad but for any length of time.......I'd be afraid they would disturb the neighbors.

ARCHER

Traveling with pets

HEY Micah, ease off on the submit button and you won't get multifple posts.....only hit the submit once and then wait a bit. It sometimes takes a few seconds/minutes for posts to take effect. You can also go in and delete the extra posts, BUT only you can do that. BTW, I agree with your remarks on mean dogs and meaner owner's.

ARCHER

Traveling with pets

I miss hearing my ole golden's bark. Even after a year since she went to the other side, I miss her immensely. She was my buddy, friend, helper, watchdog and on and on. I'll see her again one of these days, I'm sure.

alicat96

Re: Traveling with pets

I have been traveling with my 50 pound Border Collie mix for the last 4 months. Best traveling companion ever! Because he likes to travel laying on the passenger side dash I had a custom bed made for him to lay there. Because I pull my Harley in my trailer behind my class A it's hard not to leave my baby in my motorhome when I go out riding or out to dinner. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ANY PARK OVER THIS! I always make sure my baby has all the esentials (food, water, proper temps inside) and he just loves to lay on the dash and watch the world go by. I do leave the front curtains open for him.....

Big Al and Teddy the Border Collie