Truck to tow a 4000 LB trailer

DougP

Trucks I'm look at are:

Nissan Titan v8 auto trans & tow mode (about $21000 out the door)
9500 LB tow rating.
Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma 4.0 v6 stick, no tow mode (about $18-20K out the door)6500 LB tow rating.
Chevy Silverado 4.8 v8 auto trans, no tow mode (about $16K out the door), this would be a very bare bones truck, purchased as a loss leader (the one at this price deal) 5200 LB tow rating & up depending on rear axle
Ford F-150 v6 4.2 stick, no tow mode (about $16K out the door)
also a bare bones truck, 5200 LB tow rating

I'm seeking a balance between, cost, the need to tow and my everyday needs of driving (work, store etc).

hertig

Re: Truck to tow a 4000 LB trailer

If you are going to tow, you may be able to get by without a 'tow mode' (only a factor with an automatic), but you really benefit from a 'tow package'. The most critical element is a transmission cooler and transmission temperature guage if you have an automatic transmission, but it also includes such things as higher gears, more robust rear suspension and/or the trailer wiring harness.

Ford has been known for making a good truck in the past, but lately they seem to be avoiding their warrantee responsibilities. I've heard that Toyata is pretty good, but Nisson less so. And I've always had good luck with Chevy/GMC (except for OnStar) Dodge also has fans.

When you say 4000 pound, what do you mean? Is that the empty weight? The GVWR (maximum weight)? Or the actual (loaded) weight? For the best match, you will want to have the maximum weight of the trailer be perhaps 20% less than the tow rating of the truck - 1000. (for instance, if claimed towing capacity is 5200, I would try to keep my tow below 3360). This allows for the methodology of this rating, which is with no passengers, no accessories, no cargo, just a 150 pound driver and a bit of gas. And towing a flat bed with 'no' wind resistance.