Turn off the heat

Daisygirl

New owner of 1989 Skyline Aljo Aly. Fully refurbished. Why has the heat started randomly coming on, running for longer and longer times? Running on the house electricity. The thermostat over the bed is in "OFF position.

Soujrnr

Perhaps your thermostat switch is broken. You could also have other electrical issues that are causing it to turn on due to a false signal (noise induced) on the line. Hard to say. Do you have more than one thermostat?

Daisygirl

There is only one thermostat, and when I turn it on, I hear it coming on. This other thing seems to be separate. Triggered by sound? Interesting idea. It does seem to come on shortly after I come in, and goes off when I have been in bed for a while. My bet is on the wiring, but I have no idea where to look for that. Behind the grating I suppose. Thanks for the input.

Soujrnr

Triggered by sound? Interesting idea.
Let me just clarify what that means in the electronic world. The "sound" isn't like you "hear" something with your ears. The "noise" is electrical noise that puts electrical spikes on the wires and those spikes can trigger certain kinds of electronic components. Noise on electrical lines is normally caused by bad connections, bad grounds, or faulty and/or failing components. Electrical noise can reduce the effectiveness of something to the point that it's totally useless.

You said, "It just quit." What actually quit? The problem quit or the heater quit?

Daisygirl

It quit coming on. It was randomly turning on and off. Now it doesn't come on at all. Thanks for the explanation of electrical "sound".

Soujrnr

Perhaps it finally blew a fuse. Given that it definitely is an electrical problem, it could have just finally overloaded and blew the fuse. You should waste no time getting it figured out because electrical problems can lead to fires. This one is especially urgent, in my humble estimation, because it also happens to involve a heater and heating coils.

Mike